THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King

Full Fledged Farker

It’s a Midwest thing, you just won’t understand.

Pork is king in this region and I couldn’t agree more. Pork is inexpensive and has excellent flavor…if you buy the right cut!

Pork tenderloin is mild on flavor, but the tenderness is phenomenal. You can literally cut it with a fork. It’s my favorite cut to make breaded pork sandwiches. These monstrous breaded behemoths are typically larger than the bun they’re served with and are found at small town roadside diners from Missouri to Iowa and stretching all the way to Indiana.

Pork tenderloin quartered and flattened.

Here’s my take on this regional culinary treasure.

Breaded pork tenderloin
1 Pork tenderloin
2 Eggs (scramble to make an egg wash)
½ cup of Flour
1 cup of Panko
Vegetable oil

Ingredients: eggs, flour and panko.Cut the tenderloin into 1/4 sections.
  1. Pound the tenderloin to a 1/4″ inch thickness and into a round shape.
  2. Place an iron skillet on the grill, approx. 450 degrees.
  3. Add vegetable oil to 1/8” depth
  4. Coat the flattened pork in flour.
  5. Dredge the pork though the egg wash.
  6. Coat the pork in panko and place in a hot skillet.
  7. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
  8. Place on paper towel.
Since I don’t have a food grade mallet, I used one out of the garage. Just place the pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. This way, the nasty mallet doesn’t touch the pork and the meat won’t splatter all over the place. Then flatten the tenderloin into a 1/4″ inch thick patty and set aside.

Making a breaded pork tenderloin.

A couple of pieces broke off because I pulled the raw meat a little too hard while dredging. No worries, the chef gets a tasty treat after the broken pieces are cooked. I ate a couple of nuggets and it just melted in my mouth…unreal!

This is so easy to make, when the breaded pork was done cooking on the grill, I piled them high on a plate lined with paper towels. The paper towels will soak up any excess oil, surprisingly, there was little. Finally the golden, crispy discs of goodness were ready for further action.

Making the crispy and tender pork.

Sandwich
Crusty baguette bread
Pickles
White onion – sliced
1 tbsp. Mayo
Frank’s Red Hot

1. Combine mayo with a few shots of hot sauce and spread on the baguette.
  2. Stack the rest of the ingredients how you like it and serve.

No wimpy buns for me, I like thick, rustic, crusty bread that soaks up the juices and oil when I bite into the meat. I think I put as much hot sauce as I did mayo, just adjust how you like…I prefer a little spicy.

I took a man size bite into the sandwich and instantly loved the crispy, tender texture that went along with the onion, pickle, mayo-hot sauce flavor profile. The breaded patty could have used some seasoning, but that’s mute. This is my kind of sandwich.

Growing up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I totally get this!! Great post King! 5 stars!!!!!:thumb:

One of my favorite childhood memories was going to the A & W for pork tenderloin Sammie's and a mug of root beer.

As a self-proclaimed tenderloin expert who works in the agriculture industry, I get the opportunity to sample tenderloins far and wide (at least within 5 miles of a corn field). What makes this so good is the fact that you can see the meat in the finished product. In a contest, this is certainly a 9 in my book.

Many of the tenderloins are pounded so thin they resemble an elephant scab.

This one, however, brother, is firmly entrenched in the upper tier of all tenderloin-dom!

I am hungry now. As a Hawkeye living in Duck country, I crave a good tenderloin sandwich which cannot be found here.

Guess its time to make my own, thanks for the pron and the recipes.

I'm an Iowan and was shocked when I learned this is a regional thing. Making me hungry . . . :wacko:

Back