THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danny B

Full Fledged Farker
Going to be cooking this at a friends tomorrow(moved from Sunday due to weather) that has a custom made Maxey water smoker that he refurbished recently. He used to cook in the Big Pig Jig in Vienna Ga. Anyway, it's re-seasoned, ready to go and easily held temps at 275 on bottom rack and 265 on top during the re-seasoning process. I was wondering if there are any suggestions on cooking it differently than a Choice grade??

The usual plan would be to cook for 5-6 hours in the smoke, wrap in butcher paper for 2-3 hours checking after 2 hours for probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. I am considering removing the point before the wrap so it could cook on after the flat is done. I was thinking the point being prime would need more rendering.

Any suggestions are welcome. Going to be a big cook that includes 4 butts, 12 chicken halves and 5 St. Louis racks. Thank you.

I cook the wagyu's I get from SRF the same as I cook my Costco primes which is my goto brisket.

I do think I have noticed the wagyu finish quicker upon occasion than the primes so you may want to keep that in mind, but prime versus choice is pretty much identical in my experience.

I also separate my flat and point, cook together, remove flat when done, but then I typically cube the point for burnt ends and put them back on the cooker.

The point will render out nicely for you, I will remove all the fat cap from the point area before cooking.

I've found that they tend to poke tender a little higher in temps. I'd guess in the 207* area.

They have an awesome flavor to them.

Removing the entire fat cap from the point is a great tip IMO. I do all of mine that way now including competitions and love the extra bark formation that I get because of it.

I've personally never had a flat probe tender and the point not be properly rendered - wagyu, prime, or choice. There are other reasons for doing it as already stated but I'm not sure you'll need to if your only reason is so that its rendered.

Back