Covid question from Brethren

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dude
This is NOT a political post just honest real time discussion. Had covid before vaccine 15 months ago. My interest is others that may suffer post covid taste disorder. After covid I lost taste and smell. Most of smell has returned but..... the taste is awful. I went from no taste at all to selective taste. Salt and sweet are 60% I would say. Meat, dark meat chicken, boiled eggs, even BACON :mad: have the same horrible smell and taste. It even smells like skunk which is differnent than skunk always smelled but still putrid. These are all things I LOVE (not skunk obviously)!!!.....but I can’t take now.Somehow things with a cream sauce or gravy seem ok..(Poppy seed chicken, steak with gravy, etc.). Guess I’m whineing, but anyone else have similar or remedies??......

I feel your pain Dude. Give it time. It takes longer for some people to get their senses back. I got covid twice and the second time around was worse. I lost my taste for about 6 weeks and it took over three months to get my sense of smell back and it's still not 100%.

I caught the same thing ago about last January. Things still aren't the same. I'm just now getting back to the smell of wood. ANYTHING corn is gross to me (tortilla chips, especially). At my worst, diesel fuel, coffee, popcorn... etc... all smelled the same. God Bless, and I hope that you get better. I'm better, but i feel like it will never be the same.

Dang that stinks. Hope it all gets back to normal. I lost taste and smell for about two weeks, but spicy food was unbearable for months. I love spicy food but couldn’t do it. Spicy food is still more enhanced than it was before Covid but I can eat it again!

My poor realtor hasn’t been able to smell or taste for well over a year. Wild

I never lost smell my taste was a lil blunted. Now everything taste to salty and anything with vinegar in it too. My biggest problem post covid has been vertigo. Spent froday a week ago in ER because I felt exactly like I did a year ago when I had a stroke. Only difference was I didn't have the pounding headache and I wasn't messing up my words.
A year ago today I smoked my last cigarette right before my wife took me to the ER. :rockon: LoL

Sorry you have to go through this Keith!
I had covid a little over one year ago. My sense of taste is back to normal but my sense of smell can be off at times.
I found that zinc, vitamins D and C have helped a bit.
Hope you feel better soon!!

I only lost my smell/taste for about 4 days. I immediately started eating zinc gummies like they were candy when it happened. I'm not saying it's some miracle fix but that was my experience. To be fair I had virtually no other symptoms (12 hour mid fever).

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are dealing with post COVID issues. I don't mean to downplay what you're going through, because it must suck. I can't imagine not enjoying the aroma or taste of bacon, so I feel for you for sure. I lost my brother to COVID in May of last year. A 50 year old healthy guy went from testing positive to passing within three weeks leaving behind his wife and ten year old daughter. Be thankful for what you have and remain vigilant. Everyone is tired of dealing with this garbage, but even with reduced transmission rates, it's still here. Stay smart, stay safe, and I wish anyone dealing with issues a full and speedy recovery.

A straw poll with friends that caught COVID is around 50% lost taste or partial smell, and maybe 20% did not fully recover. What's weird is certain things they can't taste, like certain meats or even Jack Daniels for one guy.

I had Covid twice. The first time was rough. I lost taste and smell for about 4 days. Even when I felt better my taste was still off. Everything had a chemical taste. I recommend a tongue scraper and when you brush also brush your gums and inner cheeks. Use a potent mouthwash like original Listerine. Also run a shower as hot as you can stand it and breath in the steam through your nose. Clean the sinuses. I did both of these pretty intense and my taste and smell came back quickly. Good luck and welcome back.

Last edited:
I had Covid twice. The first time was rough. I lost taste and smell for about 4 days. Even when I felt better my taste was still off. Everything had a chemical taste. I recommend a tongue scraper and when you brush also brush your gums and inner cheeks. Use a potent mouthwash like original Listerine. Also run a shower as hot as you can stand it and breath in the steam through your nose. Clean the sinuses. I did both of these pretty intense and my taste and smell came back quickly. Good luck and welcome back.

I never got tested. But we got a few cold, damp days and then pine pollen started. I developed what I wrote off as a sinus/cold from those two things. But some food and drink had a chemical taste to it. I took Mucinex for about 5 days and it was gone. My wife lost smell for about a week. She got it 2 Thanksgivings ago.

I had it last April and still have some smell issues. Skunks smell very different now but still nasty. Almost like coffee but nasty. Anything scented with perfume of any kind smells chemical to me. My favorite cologne of 30 years is now pretty repulsive unfortunately. Thankfully bacon still smells and tastes the same!!

Back