THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you can attach a couple of photos that'll be great.

Thanks

Here are a few pictures. Notice the clean Kamado. Costco replaced my original as there was a problem with the cover not lining up with the base. I also included a picture of the bottom vent with some heat resistant sealant as per some advice I picked up in this thread.

Now that I look at the pictures myself.......i wonder if there will be enough room in the fire bowl to get enough lump in place for a longer cookout with the setter in place. Would it be OK to remove the setter and add additional lump as needed?

Attachments

• IMG-20110914-00039.jpg
    IMG-20110914-00039.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG-20110914-00040.jpg
    IMG-20110914-00040.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG-20110914-00041.jpg
    IMG-20110914-00041.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG-20110914-00043.jpg
    IMG-20110914-00043.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG-20110914-00044.jpg
    IMG-20110914-00044.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 438
I could be wrong, but it looks like that plate setter sits too low in the grill. I thought those type sit on top of the firebowl.

I could be wrong, but it looks like that plate setter sits too low in the grill. I thought those type sit on top of the firebowl.

I think you are right. With the BGE is sits on the rim below the grill. Unfortunately the large BGE setter was to big for this Costco grill and it does appear that the medium I have will sit to low in the bowl. Oh well...back to BGE dealer I guess.

Here are a few pictures. Notice the clean Kamado. Costco replaced my original as there was a problem with the cover not lining up with the base. I also included a picture of the bottom vent with some heat resistant sealant as per some advice I picked up in this thread.

Now that I look at the pictures myself.......i wonder if there will be enough room in the fire bowl to get enough lump in place for a longer cookout with the setter in place. Would it be OK to remove the setter and add additional lump as needed?

Thanks for posting the pics, I going to take some measurements this week and head to my local BBQ store to see if any of the other kamado heat deflectors will fit our grill. I'll let you know if I find anything. For now I'm using a baking stone on the bottom cooking grate as a deflector, the only thing is you're left with only the 1 cooking tier, it would be nice to find something that sits on the ceramic ring so I can use both cooking tiers when I need them.

I am also in Canada ( St John's, NL ) and purchased this grill from Costco. I went to a local Big Green Egg dealer and purchased the BGE plate setter for the medium Egg. I originally tried the large plate setter but is wouldn't fit. I haven't tried the plate setter in an actual cooking situation, however, it appears to fit in the fire bowl just fine. I can attach a couple of photos if you would like to see it in the grill.

I have cooked on this grill several times and I am very pleased with the results. I am coming from a gas grill background and will freely admit that I have much to learn about "real BBQ"...........
Do you Canadians have a sku for this? I would be really interested in one but my local Costco doesn't carry them. How much are they up here as well? Thanks.

This thing has just turned up in Costco in Melbourne. They had about 12 stacked up, no price, no display unit, no-one even knew anything about it. Maybe they'd just got them in and I just got there at the wrong time. Showed the Wife.... LOOOK A KAMADO!!!!! and you should have seen the death stare I got! Only cause I've just got a new WSM and a Performer. She wanted to know what on earth this thing could do that my other stuff could not do. I said PIZZA!!!:becky:

She just shakes her head and walks away:tsk:

Cheers!

Bill

This is the rack I'm thinking of getting to use as a plate setter for my vision grill. It is from Grilldome. Search for Indirect cooking Rack, it's available from Amazon for $25.

DoubleDecker.jpg

Indirect cooking.
Flip the rack in the downward position and place a aluminum drip pan or a ceramic/pizza stone to deflect the heat.

DDFaceDown.jpg

Sear Steaks. Flip the rack in the downward position and sear steaks right on top of the fire.

DDFaceUp.jpg

Cook on multiple levels. Place the rack on top of the main cooking level an cook foods on two level.

DDPizza.jpg

Cook Pizza. You can also cook pizza on the top level as well.

The Costco Kamado in Melbourne is $589 Aussie Bucks..

That's a farkin good deal.

These things are made in China of course, but looks like Costco is smart enough to ship the some to Melbourne direct, thus assisting the price. You might think this is a no-brainer, but in my experience with international freight and shipping......:tsk:

Now I just have to convince the wife. She likes pizza, and a pizza oven is a lot more money than this... so is a BGE.... like another Grand more!!!:shocked:

Cheeers!

Bill

I've owned this kamado for about 4 months. I will say that this kamado is really awesome. The only problem I had with this unit was it has a leaky bottom vent. I used some furnace cement and it is now perfect. With the auger temperture controller I'm able to smoke at 250 for over 18 hours without reloaded.

I've done brisket, ribs, pork butt, chicken, pizza and steaks. They have all come out much better than with my weber or water smoker.

Mid September here in British Columbia there were over 60 in our province when the price was still $549.99. Then they price dropped them to $399.99 and now there are only 12 left province wide.

This thing has just turned up in Costco in Melbourne. They had about 12 stacked up, no price, no display unit, no-one even knew anything about it. Maybe they'd just got them in and I just got there at the wrong time. Showed the Wife.... LOOOK A KAMADO!!!!! and you should have seen the death stare I got! Only cause I've just got a new WSM and a Performer. She wanted to know what on earth this thing could do that my other stuff could not do. I said PIZZA!!!:becky:

She just shakes her head and walks away:tsk:

Cheers!

Bill

WOW,

I didn't know my wife had a sister.

Makes you wish there were more Redhots in the world doesn't it. Not only does she understand the difference she cooks on them too! Guerry is definitely a lucky man. :becky:

Originally posted by sog35:

I've owned this kamado for about 4 months. I will say that this kamado is really awesome. The only problem I had with this unit was it has a leaky bottom vent. I used some furnace cement and it is now perfect. With the auger temperture controller I'm able to smoke at 250 for over 18 hours without reloaded.

I've done brisket, ribs, pork butt, chicken, pizza and steaks. They have all come out much better than with my weber or water smoker

My experience is very similar. I have been using for several weeks. Excellent results. No problem with temp control as I also used high temp cement. My last attempt was a 5lb leg of Australian lamb. I am looking forward to my first longer cook out.

Saw this one at Academy today. $499.00 It's a dark brown.

I liked the "oversized" tires.

IMG00275-20111005-1510.jpg

The top exhaust

IMG00276-20111005-1511.jpg

The "latch" or springs for the lid.

IMG00277-20111005-1511.jpg

I don't know much about these but I did see another one at Gander Mountain for like $299 and I can say that this one was much heavier and seemed sturdier in design.

Back