THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yesterday my Lowe's had ~10 18# bags left @ $3.99 so I bought 3 to check it out. Was gonna do a picnic today but I don't feel like dealing w/ the wind so it's on for tomorrow.

I asked if I could order and pay for that 6-pack deal at the store, but was told it was only available through the website.

Just placed my order. Local Lowes must have it in stock. Site said I could pick it up within the next four days. Will be trying a briskie point this weekend.

According to the store, mine is supposed to be in today. I think I was the instigator of this whole thread, so I'm sorry if it is $1/lb instead of $.17/lb. The description is very similar to the Kingsford 2-pk, except for the text in (). On the plus side, Lowe's might have a bunch more Coshell to get rid of.

According to the store, mine is supposed to be in today. I think I was the instigator of this whole thread, so I'm sorry if it is $1/lb instead of $.17/lb. The description is very similar to the Kingsford 2-pk, except for the text in (). On the plus side, Lowe's might have a bunch more Coshell to get rid of.

That's true. Plus, if it's not what we think it is, everyone can get a refund. Worth the gamble in my opinion.

The store just called. One of my '6-packs' made it in. It is 6 3.3 lb bags. Calling to cancel/return.

I went to our local Lowe's to buy the remaining few bags, they were all sold out. Coshell is a great product and was very happy with the one bag I got to try out.

I went back and tried to get a reduction on the 11 remaining clearanced 18# bags ($3.99), but no dice. So, I bought the 8 bags that were in good shape and left the 3 ripped/leaking bags on the pallet.

I used it to cook a small picnic on the 14.5 WSM. I filled the fuel ring and put the flame thrower to the Coshell. It took longer to light than my usual Cowboy lump, (and no spark show!) but no big deal.

I made the usual intake adjustments (as with lump) on the way to temp., but lost more heat than expected. One adjustment to give a bit more air and the temp settled at 255 for about 4 hours, then went up to 270. Not sure why. No change in the wind. I don't mind running there but I wasn't able to babysit it, so I cut back a little just to keep it in check. It settled back to 270 and rode there for the next few hours until I pulled the shoulder. The cook lasted about 8 hours.

Overall it seems like a good charcoal. I've run nothing but lump for a year+ and was initially shocked at the large amt. of ash it left, but that is the way of briqs. There is very little usable charcoal left. If I had used lump, there would be enough leftover to fill the ring about 25%.

For the price it was a good deal for a non-chemical-ish briq. Glad I bought it.

Too bad the web-deal wasn't real.

Last edited:
Dammit.

Lowe's called me, said my Coshell order was in. Yay!

I asked the guy what size the bags were. 3 1/2 lbs. each.

Dammit.

20 lbs for $20? That's not even a good *on sale* price, let alone a *closeout*, as the website said.

I can buy that 20 lb offer for $20 'closeout', or I can go across the room to the charcoal aisle and get a single 18 lb bag of Coshell for $7.99 ... less than half the price of the 'closeout' sham. I canceled the order.

Just Dammit.

My Lowes had the big Coshell bags marked at $1. It is on the other side of the birdseed. There was birdseed all over and holes chewed in the Coshell bags. Of course, mouse droppings were all around. Think that is a cooking no-no or does the fire destroy all?

Last edited:
Back