Coshell Charcoal big time score

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Fred
A week or so ago there was a thread on Coshell charcoal on clearance at Lowes for $3.20 for an 18 pound bag. So last Friday I was in the Ames Iowa Lowes and they had some, so I bought 3 bags. Was pretty satisfied with it and told a couple of buddies and they went to their local Lowes and most did not have it or ever carry it. I then got a private message from a fellow Brethren telling me that over internet you could order 6 20# bags for $19.99 and pick it up at any local Lowes. I was going to do that but then because of pork butts at Sams for $1.27# for a case. Since the closest Sams is an hour and a half a way and the Ames one is an hour and 45 min away with the Lowes I bought the charcoal at last week across the street. So we made a trip to Ames this morning.

First i will say the pork butts might be some of the best looking ones i have ever seen. I look hard at money Muscle and of 8 butts 6 MM were incredible looking. 1 was ok and 1 was so/so. So for just over 69# we paid $88.

Anyways so we went into Lowes and I grabbed 2 bags right away. A worker came over and asked if we needed any help and I said I was just looking at this clearance charcoal. I asked him if he had heard anything about it, and he said basically all he knew it was on clearance and might have sold 5 bags in the last month. He looked up on his machine and said they had actually only sold 3 in the last few weeks(I bought 3 last Friday). So I looked at all they had on the pallet,14 bags, and I asked since it was on clearance and it is not selling. How much for all 14 bags. He called the manager over, nice guy talked for a few minutes and explained I bought 3 bags last Friday and ddint think it was to bad once got started. I also said best thing for me to start with was the Weber starter cubes that I already had in cart. He looked at something on his handheld computer and then told me $2 a bag if I take all 14 bags. So of course I did. None were ripped open, and if anyone is curious a 2006 PT Cruiser's backend will hold 13 bags without blocking vision Had to put one bag on the back seat.

So our score (14) 18 pound bags=252 pounds of charcoal for $28. I am pretty satisfied with this score.

Do you know if the online price is 6 x 20lbs (120lbs), or if it's 6 x 3.33lbs (20lbs)?

Thanks Freddy. May not be as good as your bargain, but at $0.17/lb I'm going to give it a try

20 bucks for 120 pounds? Absolutely! Just ordered and should be picking it up next week.

I've used Charcos and really liked 'em, and I'm Phortunate enough to know Phirsthand that awesome Phood can be cooked with coconut briqs.

I'm Phortunate enough to know Phirsthand that awesome Phood can be cooked with coconut briqs.
Yeah but I heard Phu's Q tastes like Cocobutter:p

Seriously though thats too good to pass up, just ordered some.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I'm not sure it's 120lbs. I read it as a total of 20lbs. Plus, when you enlarge the picture the bag says 3.3lbs. Has anyone ordered this before? If it's really 120lbs I'd love to try it. Not so much for 20lbs.

I'm not sure it's 120lbs. I read it as a total of 20lbs. Plus, when you enlarge the picture the bag says 3.3lbs. Has anyone ordered this before? If it's really 120lbs I'd love to try it. Not so much for 20lbs.

You might be right, after you pointed it out I blew up the picture and i see that as well. All I know is that there were some people in the other thread that had said they gotten some at that price and weight.That is where I got the link. And it is on clearance for $3.20 for 18 pound bags unless you can talk them down even further like we did.

I was having the same thoughts as to the amounts, but I looked at the specs, and the unit of measure quantity says 20# and the package quantity is 6. If it isn't 6-20# bags - which, now that the coffee's kicked in looks more likely, I'll just refuse the sale.

Somefin doesnt make sense. If they are on clearance for $3.20 for an 18# pound bag that would be $19.20 for 6 bags so it seems numbers would add up for 20# bags. But the picture sure doesnt show that. Here is the thread that i found out about the Coshell charcoal and people getting numerous pounds of it. I still got mine for $2 a bag but it sounds like other Brethren may have gotten the 6 20 pound bags so i dont know what is what.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205422

Yeah I wondered about that. What an odd way to list it especially since 6 x 3.3 aint 20 even though its close. I only believed it because from the early post it seemed they were trying to clearance it out. I will refund mine and go across the street to Costco for the Kingsford Comp sale.

I think you are right - still waiting on my order, but I just took a look at it and saw this:
Item #:537156 Model #: COSR33
- that would lead me to believe it is 6 packages of the 3.3

So, I'll either refuse the order, since it isn't charged till I pick it up, or just immediately return it.

I emailed their customer support to cancel my order the same day and got this back in less than 24hours. Pretty good since I emailed them on Sunday.

I apologize for the delay in my response, but thank you for contacting us regarding the need to cancel your Lowes.com order #####. I have submitted a request to have this order cancelled and credited back via the Henderson, NV Lowe s. I want to apologize for the description on this product as well. The specs on our website aren t exactly clear , and I will contact our webteam to have this addressed.
In the meantime, if you need additional assistance please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-445-6937 or Custcare@Lowes.com.

Back