Coshell Charcoal big time score

I bought up too, just in case! The only thing that has me doubting is that I can't find a 20 pound bag of that stuff sold anywhere... only 18 pounders.

Yesterday my Lowe's had ~10 18# bags left @ $3.99 so I bought 3 to check it out. Was gonna do a picnic today but I don't feel like dealing w/ the wind so it's on for tomorrow.

I asked if I could order and pay for that 6-pack deal at the store, but was told it was only available through the website.

Just placed my order. Local Lowes must have it in stock. Site said I could pick it up within the next four days. Will be trying a briskie point this weekend.

According to the store, mine is supposed to be in today. I think I was the instigator of this whole thread, so I'm sorry if it is $1/lb instead of $.17/lb. The description is very similar to the Kingsford 2-pk, except for the text in (). On the plus side, Lowe's might have a bunch more Coshell to get rid of.

According to the store, mine is supposed to be in today. I think I was the instigator of this whole thread, so I'm sorry if it is $1/lb instead of $.17/lb. The description is very similar to the Kingsford 2-pk, except for the text in (). On the plus side, Lowe's might have a bunch more Coshell to get rid of.

That's true. Plus, if it's not what we think it is, everyone can get a refund. Worth the gamble in my opinion.

The store just called. One of my '6-packs' made it in. It is 6 3.3 lb bags. Calling to cancel/return.

I went to our local Lowe's to buy the remaining few bags, they were all sold out. Coshell is a great product and was very happy with the one bag I got to try out.

I went back and tried to get a reduction on the 11 remaining clearanced 18# bags ($3.99), but no dice. So, I bought the 8 bags that were in good shape and left the 3 ripped/leaking bags on the pallet.

I used it to cook a small picnic on the 14.5 WSM. I filled the fuel ring and put the flame thrower to the Coshell. It took longer to light than my usual Cowboy lump, (and no spark show!) but no big deal.

I made the usual intake adjustments (as with lump) on the way to temp., but lost more heat than expected. One adjustment to give a bit more air and the temp settled at 255 for about 4 hours, then went up to 270. Not sure why. No change in the wind. I don't mind running there but I wasn't able to babysit it, so I cut back a little just to keep it in check. It settled back to 270 and rode there for the next few hours until I pulled the shoulder. The cook lasted about 8 hours.

Overall it seems like a good charcoal. I've run nothing but lump for a year+ and was initially shocked at the large amt. of ash it left, but that is the way of briqs. There is very little usable charcoal left. If I had used lump, there would be enough leftover to fill the ring about 25%.

For the price it was a good deal for a non-chemical-ish briq. Glad I bought it.

Too bad the web-deal wasn't real.

Last edited:
Dammit.

Lowe's called me, said my Coshell order was in. Yay!

I asked the guy what size the bags were. 3 1/2 lbs. each.

Dammit.

20 lbs for $20? That's not even a good *on sale* price, let alone a *closeout*, as the website said.

I can buy that 20 lb offer for $20 'closeout', or I can go across the room to the charcoal aisle and get a single 18 lb bag of Coshell for $7.99 ... less than half the price of the 'closeout' sham. I canceled the order.

Just Dammit.

My Lowes had the big Coshell bags marked at $1. It is on the other side of the birdseed. There was birdseed all over and holes chewed in the Coshell bags. Of course, mouse droppings were all around. Think that is a cooking no-no or does the fire destroy all?

Last edited:
Back