THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out the recipe section of thirdeyes site. I have not tried it but it looks really good

It's not bad... :mrgreen: There is not a before picture on that page, so here is what it looks like.

DSC07697a.jpg

Here is the rub recipe I use. I think the main flavors most will agree on are pepper, corriander and garlic, so you could get by with just those.

RUB:

(this recipe makes enough rub to season several corned briskets, any leftover can be stored in a zipper baggie in the freezer for several months)

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

I just use coarse ground black pepper

Isn't smoked corned beef really just pastrami?

If you want to be 100% technically accurate, corned beef and pastrami are different cuts. However, the two cuts live right next to each other on the cow, so I doubt there's enough of a difference to matter. I forget where I learned that.

HOWEVER, I smoke corned beef and call it pastrami. Food police have yet to bust me for it...

Back