THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alright obviously this grill did its job.. and I did one heck of a job cooking on it.. I'm sure it doesn't take much charcoal to smoke chickens, or anything for 3-5 hr cooks. But my question is... Am I missing something with this being a Jumbo Joe and not a kettle?

Reason why I ask 90% of you guys keep calling it a kettle.. the difference is the Jumbo Joe has a shallower bottom compared to the kettle.. How much difference does this make as far as cooking goes? is the distance between grates different with the kettle as well?

I guess after looking at the kettle and such the grill grate distance from charcoal grate isn't that much of a difference.. The kettle is taller.. This Jumbo Joe is kinda short.. Probably hard to stand up and grill on it.. But that's ok I learned I can roll it right up to the porch and sitting on the porch and grilling worked out just fine!

As you state the Kettle is taller and has more distance between the coal rack and grill surface. The Weber Kettle OTG also has a ash disposal system and 3 blade venting. The flip up grill rack is handy for adding more coal or wood during a cook.

But as far as cooking all you have to do is adjust your cooking method. The JJ will do everything the OTG will do.

Welcome to the wild world of charcoal cooking. And maybe someday, splits (or heaven for bid pellets!)

Last edited:
Back