THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which competition cooking class would you recommend?

• Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Bob Snelson

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Mike Davis BBQ Class

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Paul Kirk

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • BS Pitmeisters - Charles Fretwell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - please name

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters
You're right, these classes aren't cheap, but the information provided can be very valuable. For $500 a person who participates gets not one, but two COMPLETE sets of competition proven recipes. Obviously I'm biased, but that's a steal. If someone walks away with only enough information to boost just one of his/her categories to consistently finish in the top ten, who wouldn't agree that a cooking class is money well spent? Honestly, it's more like an investment.

We're trying to put something together for your area (the east coast) this year. Once a location is determined, a date will follow shortly. The original plans were to come out to cook Norfolk again and stay the next weekend to host a class. No word on Norfolk so far, but the rumor mill says that it won't happen. Back to the drawing board. Thank you for considering our classes.

Rod

Rod, If you do a class in the mid-Atlantic, I would be there. :-D No question you get a lot from the classes and I've even considered going to Shannon for your class because I would see two completely new approaches (that's the big draw for me). But travel, lodging, etc. would add a lot. The cost just means you have to be careful which ones you chose because it's hard to keep dropping $500 for every class that comes around. Hope you find a venue in the VA, MD, PA, DE area.

Bill

I'm on sabbatical this year, mainly because I'm devastated by Ford's vicious comparison.
But I hope to do a couple comp classes again in 2009.

(I can be seen at The Greenbrier this year with Myron Mixon or Chris Lilly, but if you think Rod and Johnny are expensive........ Google BBQ Mastery)
A friend pointed this class out to me a few years back. It's not any cheaper. BUT, it is the Greenbrier and that's most of the cost. nice place!! Good luck Ray. I wish I could go.

From the website:
Rates & Availability

Starting at $2,305

No one has mentioned our own Kevin's (HomeBBQ) classes.
He is a current winning cook and many of his students are now scoring extremely well!

TIM

Thanks Tim, truth is I have only done 2 full regular competition classes (1 in 2006, and 1 in 2007), but I have done 3 personal classes.. You are correct, several have done extremely well, in fact it's made things a lot more difficult for me.. :biggrin:
But I'm proud of them...

I do plan on doing more in 2008, in fact I have one scheduled in February...

I almost had Mrs. Big Tom talked into a weekend at the Greenbriar until she realized I wanted to go to a BBQ school.

The level of quality from the combination of instructors at those sessions is second to none. I have cooked against and next to Myron & Chris, maybe one day I will set a tent up next to Dr. Ray.

Good luck with that venture.

I have not been to any of the mentioned classes, heard good things about Mike Davis', Fast Eddy, & Paul Kirk from others though.

How about up in Lake Placid... then I can go... I want to find out what you taught Rod in ribs... :roll:

Anyone doing the Lotta Bull class at the BGE mothership? I will be there. Looking forward to it for sure. It will be my first class, but I really couldnt pass up a $125 class with Mike Davis less than 1 mile from my house...even if it is only chicken and ribs. I figure 1 call in chicken and the class has more than paid for itself, consider I cant get my chicken scores to match my other scores right now.

thanks to all of you for posting the info about classes we took Dr. BBQ last year in Detroitand it was good. We are now booked to go to Illinois in April .

thanks to all of you for posting the info about classes we took Dr. BBQ last year in Detroitand it was good. We are now booked to go to Illinois in April .

See you in Shannon,if that is the class you are referring to.:wink:

Bump. I just saw on the Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg site that a class is scheduled for NYC on 8/1-8/2. This is the class that I reallywanted to do, but I leave for the Outer Banks on family vacation 8/2. Just my luck. Hope you guys jump on this one.

This class hasn't happened yet, But it will turn out winners when they have it and that is the Boys from Tornado Alley, Bart Clark and Donny Teal.

I know several people going it will be interesting to watch their scores after that class.

I don't think anybody answered Roo B' Qn's question on whether you had seen a marked improvment in your scores since taking these classes.

The Dr.BBQ Competition class was great! He makes it look so easy, and it was the one I got the most out of. Ray took the time to check our progress between demonstrations and answered any questions very thoughtfully. It was an overnight class too, simulating a KCBS comp. It was nice to have Jim Minion there too!

The Paul Kirk class was good also, but it was a daylong affair, and even though I'm a newbie, there were some things I was scratching my head over, like nothing about garnishing turn in boxes, boning a butt, cooking whole chickens etc. But he did spend a lot of time on spices and rubs, sauces and sausage which I did enjoy.

I'd probably take any of the classes listed if they came through the PNW.

Do the Pellet Envy or Fast Eddy classes focus on competition or is it geared towards the respective cookers?

I'm taking the Paul Kirk class next month (April 13th) more for the spices and rub info that Swamprb mentioned than meat prep / presentation. I leave that foo foo stuff up to my BBQ partner...:twisted:

I'd like to take Ray Lampe's class as well...and probably will if he does one in the area this year. Hey Ray...no schedule yet on your home page???

Back