Myron Mixon's Cook Class Report

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
John
The class started with a meet and greet on Friday evening. Myron provided a fried catfish and chicken dinner which was really good, explaining to us that we were eating fried food that night because it was going to be BBQ overload the rest of the class. We all received a Jack’s Old South apron, a note book, and a coozie – the apron came in handy the next day. Myron had a full food serving line in the back of the BIG patio, a keg of beer iced down, and a soda machine set up – all you can drink. Tables were set up for the students. The area he used to instruct was covered by an overhead mirror and 2 video monitors so everyone can see what he was doing. He wore a wireless microphone so everyone could hear him. He had 2 big smokers set up right behind his table, and there were 2 more that were used to cook the student’s food.

D9o7d3gh.jpg

2QAapTTh.jpg

The class was divided into 2 parts. Saturday started at 9:30 AM and was all prep. We started the day watching him and his crew prep a whole hog. They injected it with a full 5 gallons of injection, and I would have never believed it would take it all if I hadn’t have seen it for myself. Once the hog was put in the cooker, we moved on to demonstrations. He went over pork butt, pork ribs, beef ribs, pork loin, competition chicken legs, cupcake chicken, whole turkey, and brisket. After each demo, the students went to tables in groups to prep the meat he just demonstrated. His crew had the tables set up with the cryovac meat, knives, rubs, and injection. The tables were covered with disposable covers and we used disposable cutting boards. He had a glove station for all of us to glove up prior to handling the meat. Myron’s son Michael worked the student’s tables assisting us if we had questions, and we always did. Once the meat was prepped, his crew put them into the cookers. Myron cautioned us to do a good job prepping, as this was going to be our dinner that night. We broke for lunch, and he served grilled burgers and dogs. It was a full nine hours of demo and prep, and I was more than ready to take a break and eat the Q that we prepped all day. I ate until I couldn’t hold another bite, and everything we prepped was killer.

xo93ofth.jpg

9xETP1ch.jpg

giXsiD5h.jpg

vqp2FaIh.jpg

2fEHjTRh.jpg

gDHUkZth.jpg

kUa2N3hh.jpg

Sunday was an early start at 8 AM. We started the day by pulling the hog off the pit. It was beautiful. Michael showed us how to break it down, and it was basically breakfast that morning. It tasted incredible. We also had the turkey that was cooked before we arrived and that was great. Myron then went into a time line cook – just how he cooks comps. He explained the order of the cook, and actually did those cooks in front of us. He explained cook times, pit temps, what IT’s to look for to pull, and how to hold. He actually cooked for all of us to watch that day and built blind boxes for us to see – brisket, pork butt (sliced and pulled, chicken, and pork ribs. The brisket he cooked for this was Wagyu and he passed out samples as he sliced. It rocked. Class ended a little after 2 PM and we were all once again stuffed with BBQ. We all got a diploma and said our goodbyes.

wXjQ8EJh.jpg

qzZo8j2h.jpg

AwVyT41h.jpg

We all signed a covenant to not disclose his recipes or post pictures of his blind boxes.

Take-aways:

This class is really going to change the way I cook some meats. While I admired Myron from his shows, I was always a little skeptical about how his food actually tasted. He told us he cooks the same whether at home, catering, or comps. I can personally attest to the fact that his food tasted truly great and he lets the meat shine. His food flat out rocked.

His methods are actually fairly simple, with easily found ingredients – nothing exotic at all. He uses a lot of injection, and I was skeptical about this, also. Now, I’m sold. It made a world of difference in the taste, and all of his injections complemented the meats – the meat was still the star.
It was an amazingly fun weekend.

Myron and his son Michael answered EVERY question asked. They were engaging, personable, and entertaining. They made the class fun. He had a crew of about 8 guys working to keep things moving and cook the student’s food. They were also very helpful. I highly recommend this class if you’re looking to up your game. We had a few comp cookers in the class, but most of us were back yard types. It was well spent money.

Tips if you go:

Eat a light lunch on Friday before the meet and greet. Myron puts on a spread.
Be prepared to takes LOTS of notes. I took 12 pages of them.

Eat a very light lunch on Saturday – you’ll be eating all of the Q you prepped that day for dinner that evening.

Don’t be afraid to ask Myron questions. He’ll answer them all.

Last edited:
Fantastic write up and good pics! I was torn on going to Myron's class or Tuffy's earlier this year and went to Tuffy's. I think I'll definitely make some time and get to Myron's next year.

Thank you for the report!

Just how large is a hog that can take 5 gallons of injection?

I think I talked to him in passing, but never knew he was Brethren.

I mentioned the Brethren to a table I sat on the first night to those that weren't aware. I told them this is the forum to connect and learn.....I certainly have.

Thanks for the review. I would really love to attend one of his classes.

If you're looking to up your game - comp or back yard, I really do recommend Myron. I'm certainly adopting his methods right now where I can - no smoke or mirrors, his food was flat out great. He lets the meat shine, and his rubs and injections just complement the meat.

Thank you John for your review of the class, I've never been interested in comp BBQ but always looking to up my game, sounds like this may be a good class to take in the future, I like the fact the meat comes first and not pretty looking over sweet BBQ, glad you had a great experience.

Thank you John for your review of the class, I've never been interested in comp BBQ but always looking to up my game, sounds like this may be a good class to take in the future, glad you had a great experience.

Kevin,

I'm not a comp cooker, either. I'm just looking to up my game.....and that is exactly what I got from Myron's class. I'm serious about my Q, and I want to make sure my Q is as good as I can get it.

All about good eats! :-D

Great write up! I used to be dubious about injection, especially with Brisket, but after trying it my results are so much better..... Sounds like a great time and thanks for the write up!

If you're looking to up your game - comp or back yard, I really do recommend Myron. I'm certainly adopting his methods right now where I can - no smoke or mirrors, his food was flat out great. He lets the meat shine, and his rubs and injections just complement the meat.
Now wait, there were smoke and mirrors, you said so yourself:becky: Happy to hear that you had a great time. I met him once at a comp that I did with my daughter (we are both big fans) and he was nice enough to stop and say hello. It made my daughter's day. Hopefully that new found info will help in your future comps.

Back