Cooking 60lb pig

kcdano

I'm going to help a friend cook about a 60 lb. pig on a lang 84. Never have cooked one. How long do you think it will take cooking at about 225? I was guessing 12 hrs. or so.

Are you going to smoke it whole? I'd guess 6 or 7 hours, but the loins will probably need to be removed much earlier. The ribs and belly would have to watched closely too.

I've done many that size. If butterflied, about 1 hr per 10 lbs. No need to remove the loins early. I cook skin side up. I take a head of cabbage and slice it in half and place it under the loins. I flip the hog about half way through.

Whole can be racer style, feet tucked underneath for entire cook, or butterflied and flipped or not flipped.
I'd still put halved cabbage in the cavity if racer style.

Racer style my cooks usually take a little longer, so add a hr or so. I cook at 225 to 250°

the shoulders of a young pig like that won't have as much tough, established connective tissue as a "hog". As said it should be around 1hr/10lb, and there definitely is no need to remove the loins early. A fully bone-in, meaning with the baby-backs AND in-tact chine spine bone from a pig that size can easily handle over 5hrs. They get to ~145*F and stall for quite a while, and a medium-well chop is much juicier than it otherwise would be.

Jealously reading and wishing I was there!

Please take pics and let us know how it turns out :-D

Back