Cooking 312 Turkeys For 2,500 People

Wow, that is impressive. Can someone send the pictures to PETA? :thumb:

Funny living in Hitlers Republic of California I am programmed to think of the hazards of cooking that close to the playground. :sad:

This is a truly awesome event, its what deep down we should all strive for.

Yes this is Americana at its best. Truly impressive.

Good thing they didn't use wood..the whole state would be denuded.

Man, I would've loved to catch some whiffs of those aromas. Great work. Is that area just a sand pit for the rest of the year? I'm guessing there was an awful lot of ash and drippings that probably make that turf hard to use the rest of the year.

That's amazing!!
They should add "How many # of charcoal" is used, to the list. I saw 1 pallet but would like to know the total.

I don't know offhand how many bags they go through. I think they have a couple pallets on hand. One year they were close to running out and they would have had to drive 75+ miles to the closest place to get more charcoal. Probably closer to 2+ hour round trip to a Walmart or bigger grocery store that would stock more than a couple bags. My friend said he's done cooking turkeys if they weren't going to supply an ample amount of charcoal for the cook. They now have extra charcoal with no worries about running out. It stores good and they use whateverthey didn't use the year before.

Man, I would've loved to catch some whiffs of those aromas. Great work. Is that area just a sand pit for the rest of the year? I'm guessing there was an awful lot of ash and drippings that probably make that turf hard to use the rest of the year.

All they do for the pit floor is lay down tin foil. I thought the same. The cinder blocks are stored away on a farm when not in use.

Back