Cooking 312 Turkeys For 2,500 People

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I meet an Egger who goes by the name RAH 4-5 years ago at an Eggfest in northern Minnesota. RAH is from a small town in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota. The town is called Aneta. Population less than 200. Would you believe me if I told you they hold the biggest turkey bbq in the world? Let me explain the background a little...

In 1956 the construction of the grain elevator in Aneta was completed. The town wanted to thank the construction workers who spent the previous year in Aneta working on the grain elevator. They cooked 6 turkeys for the workers in the city park thanking them for their hard work. It was such a hit that residents in town asked if they could do it next year but for the community. So over the years 6 turkeys have turned into 312 turkeys! A town of 200 serves over 2,500 meals! The town also has a parade, class reunions, and many family reunions. It doesn't get much more Midwestern than everyone eating together in the park. An absolute blast!

I believe RAH dad was one of the first to head the turkey operation. RAH is now in charge of the process. I get nervous with a couple turkeys at Thanksgiving. I couldn't imagine the stress, timing, and dealing with the weather. I'm in awe watching everything. It's really cool to see everyone help out.

This was my wife and I fourth year going. A big thanks to RAH and his family. Such generous and gracious folks. Here are a couple pictures of this year's turkey bbq. I didn't get very many pictures with the rain this year but I'll post some from years past.

This year's pit was covered with tarps to help protect the turkeys from rain:

Last year with more pics:

They remove the cement blocks as temperatures start to finish on the turkeys so certain spits come off at certain times. It's really an art.

If you ever find yourself in North Dakota mid-June I highly recommend coming out and enjoying the celebration. Great food and good people!!!

Wow :shock: Thank you for sharing! That is way cool

I can't imagine being one of the guys picking turkey carcasses all day. I don't think I would ever want to eat turkey again...

That's amazing!!
They should add "How many # of charcoal" is used, to the list. I saw 1 pallet but would like to know the total.

THIS IS FANTASTIC AMERICANA!!!!!

SHENCO SMOKE - are YOU paying attention???
(probably not, he's too busy, but he rolls with a boatload of chicken
and cinderblock pits in the summer in the Shenandoah Valley of VA.
Amazing chicken pics, but I'd say less volume, not by much.)

Don't show this to sleebus.jones. He's awfully proud of his cinderblock pit and I'd hate to break his heart. Wow...what a sight.

Thanks for posting.

Back