Cook off ideas for 100

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Nope
Got asked to do a charity cook off. They are selling food tasting tickets for everyone cooking, so all cooks have to prepare enough food for 100 people to taste test. Obviously I am thinking about bbq, but they have a cooking start time of 6 am and serve time of 12. Not much time on a smoker, so I am trying to come up with ideas. Keep in mind all food must be supplied by the cook.

So far I’ve thought about smoked turkey breast sandwiches/grilled cheese or a Piece of toasted French/crusty bread with turkey breast and Mac and cheese, pork belly, or maybe try a hot and fast Chuck roast sandwich. Any other thoughts? Most people will probably be entering the rice or pasta categories as it is south LA. My ambitious thought was a pork belly banh mi or pork belly over sticky rice.

Wings would be easy to do in that time frame. Not sure of you smokier, but wings can be smoked in 2 hours. Ribs is another possibility. At a charity rib cook off we participated in, they asked us to have an additional item to serve to everyone who came around to sample ribs. We smoked a couple of logs of bologna. Sliced it thick and cubed the slices, put them on a tray with a toothpick. People loved them.

My initial thought when you said "taste test" was just a bite for everyone, not a whole sandwich.

A slice of smoked sausage cooked like burnt ends either hot or mild (their choice) with a piece of grilled bell pepper and grilled onion on a toothpick comes to mind. Cut the onion and pepper into 1" squares for easy toothpicking.

There's always smoked chicken wings, one or two each. Easy peezy.

Pork or beef sliders on those small Hawaiian buns with a sweet smokey sauce and cheese.

Bacon wrapped cocktail weiners or smokies dabbed with a sauce on a toothpick.

ABT's would be too expensive and time consuming for 100 pieces.

I could go on and on. One bite football game food is something I do for every NFL game. Tradition....

My initial thought when you said "taste test" was just a bite for everyone, not a whole sandwich.

A slice of smoked sausage cooked like burnt ends either hot or mild (their choice) with a piece of grilled bell pepper and grilled onion on a toothpick comes to mind. Cut the onion and pepper into 1" squares for easy toothpicking.

There's always smoked chicken wings, one or two each. Easy peezy.

Pork or beef sliders on those small Hawaiian buns with a sweet smokey sauce and cheese.

Bacon wrapped cocktail weiners or smokies dabbed with a sauce on a toothpick.

ABT's would be too expensive and time consuming for 100 pieces.

I could go on and on. One bite football game food is something I do for every NFL game. Tradition....

Regarding the sandwich, my thought was to cut each sandwich where each person got a cube of pork belly with the extras on it.

It all has to be prepared on site so I feel like trying to get pulled pork done in 5 hours and then time to prep would be pushing it. Chuck roast is a possibility.

Regarding the sandwich, my thought was to cut each sandwich where each person got a cube of pork belly with the extras on it.

It all has to be prepared on site so I feel like trying to get pulled pork done in 5 hours and then time to prep would be pushing it. Chuck roast is a possibility.

Agreed. Burger sliders would be easier. You can make them out of brat meat by removing the casing. Or italian sausage. Use one of those large grill baskets loaded with a dozen at a time for easy flipping.

Don't forget bacon wrapped meatballs on a pick!

Circle Oct. 15th on your calendar. Gators beat Tigers. :dancer:

Agreed. Burger sliders would be easier. You can make them out of brat meat by removing the casing. Or italian sausage. Use one of those large grill baskets loaded with a dozen at a time for easy flipping.

Circle Oct. 15th on your calendar. Gators beat Tigers. :dancer:

I agreed with you until the game…nice try poaching a local coach. But he’s way out of his element. What’s the over under on apology letters he writes this season, not including the one he’s already written? Lol

I recently cooked about 175 samples for a similar type event. I made tri tip sammies on baguette bread, with sautéed peppers and onions. I sliced the meat and assembled two baguettes at a time, then sliced each into sample sized portions. Made a fairy efficient way to serve that many people vs trying to assemble 175 individual mini portions.

I recently cooked about 175 samples for a similar type event. I made tri tip sammies on baguette bread, with sautéed peppers and onions. I sliced the meat and assembled two baguettes at a time, then sliced each into sample sized portions. Made a fairy efficient way to serve that many people vs trying to assemble 175 individual mini portions.

I actually have tri-tip on my idea list, didn’t consider the baguette route for that though. May be a good idea. How many tri-tips did you do?

I'd go with a little sammie of your choice. Turkey sounds great. And make the ABT's for 100. Cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeños would probably be very unique for the attendees.

Sliders, sandwiches, etc. are a lot of work for 100, plus more cost. Buy a couple of bags of frozen Italian style meatballs at Sam's or Costco, a few packages of thin cut bacon, and some toothpicks and make MOINK balls! Easy to prepare (if you thaw the meatballs first :-D), a short cook (cook until the bacon is done, glaze with sauce and you're done) and easy to serve. Keep them hot in a chafing dish or electric roaster.

OR... Fatties! Easy to prep and serve!

Last edited:
I actually have tri-tip on my idea list, didn’t consider the baguette route for that though. May be a good idea. How many tri-tips did you do?

I think I went through about 7-8. Whatever you decide on, I’d try cooking it once or twice in advance to work out your methods and quantities.

I’ve done pork loin chop pops with success. Smoke pork loins to 125-130. Insert skewer every inch or so, then cut into individual chops on a stick. Finish on grill w/ sauce.

People love food on a stick…

Fooball mentioned pork butt sliders on Kings Hawaiian rolls. I would go with that as people do hot and fast pork butts regularly. Have fun

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Appreciate all of the suggestions. Definitely thinking some type of sandwich may be the way to go. Only issue with tri-tip is having to explain to every person that even though the whole slice is pink it is cooked lol. Happens with a lot of customers when I help out at my buddy’s restaurant.

I’m not sure I had a single person talk to me about that, but quite a few that had never heard of tri tip and asked about it. Maybe being smothered in cheese and sautéed veggies made it less noticeable.

I agreed with you until the game…nice try poaching a local coach. But he’s way out of his element. What’s the over under on apology letters he writes this season, not including the one he’s already written? Lol

Apology letters to the Ragin' Cajuns for leaving or to LSU fans for beating them? :laugh:

When I do pulled pork sliders, I serve on Kings Hawaiian rolls and I buy the nacho trays at Sam's Club and use the cheese compartment for dipping sauce. Of course the nacho trays work for a variety of small bite foods.

9tAFI.jpg

Fatty sliders are a big hit too, and I can get 10 slices per chub...

CVGLYr1.jpg

I'm thinking easy assembly after the cook. Maybe a smoked chicken and sausage gumbo?

Smoked shrimp and oysters with peppers and onions? Or maybe dirty rice?

Something you can just ladle up into a serving dish or cup of some sort.

Apology letters to the Ragin' Cajuns for leaving or to LSU fans for beating them? :laugh:

He’ll be writing another apology letter for not being able to recruit, like the first one. I have a feeling if he loses to Utah there will be Gator fans calling for his job pretty quickly.

Back