THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Had all the parts laying around except for spit and motor. So I made this whole pig rotisserie out of hurricane panels. Wanted to do a trial run to see how it might work so I spun an 18# turkey for a try. (Publix has them on sale for $0.49 a pound.) Had the bird in the fridge for 3 days after thawing with Harvest Brine dry brine. (Sorry Marty's (stingerhook) generous gift of Sweet Money rub did not arrive on time to be used. Thanks Marty.) I did hit it with a sprinkle of my generic rub on top of Crisco/butter. Bird turned out delicious.
Take away: I will definitely cover the front opening for the pig cook. It took nearly 20# of charcoal and some splits to get this bird done. 24" seems to be the right height for the spit from coal grate, though I made a lower one as well for the longer cook. Finally, it is of utmost importance that the meat be securely fixed on the spit. This bird needed a little help to get around toward the end of the cook.
Third picture is of the burn-in in that I believe the aluminum angle for the coal grates is anodized.

Last edited:
Thanks Marty. The beauty of this is that the three main parts are held together with pins (as is the charcoal grate rail) so it disassembles in no time and can be stored in small space.

As a FL resident with a Garage full of Hurricane Panels......I salute your ingenuity. Mine just gather dust, while your's turn out great looking food. Really like the way you used a short piece to catch the ashes. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

As a FL resident with a Garage full of Hurricane Panels......I salute your ingenuity. Mine just gather dust, while your's turn out great looking food. Really like the way you used a short piece to catch the ashes. :clap2::clap2::clap2:
Thanks for the comment. My daughter and husband installed impact resistant windows at their house so I had a huge number of never used panels to choose from. I think I will get three more of the shorter ones with appropriate angle material to close the top 2/3 face of the "oven" leaving the coal grate accessible for re-fueling and that should complete the project. Needed to do the trial run to find what more needed to be done.

I have no idea what a hurricane panel is, or that people actually have to keep some around. But that creation is genious! I like your creativity, and yeah, the partial front closure should make you an awesome spit. Great job! :thumb:

I have no idea what a hurricane panel is, or that people actually have to keep some around. But that creation is genious! I like your creativity, and yeah, the partial front closure should make you an awesome spit. Great job! :thumb:

I've never used a Snow Blower or shoveled Snow.....so I think we're even. Bet you can't roast a Turkey with a Snow Blower can you?? :grin::grin:
I'll take my chances with Hurricanes any day.

Great idea , 2 things, if galvanized and you block in the front less fuel will be needed, also more heat may cause the metal to give off poisonous fumes. stay safe

Great idea , 2 things, if galvanized and you block in the front less fuel will be needed, also more heat may cause the metal to give off poisonous fumes. stay safe
Yes, I had the galvanization in mind also. That's why I did not use a panel for the coals. I don't expect that the "oven" will reach temperatures (400+) that would be concerning. Also, no hot coals touch the panels or anything galvanized. The outer wall of the panels is actually cool enough to touch without discomfort in this cook. I don't expect that the partial closing will create the temperatures to be concerned about.

Back