Completed 1st UDS build/First cook on new UDS

Nice drum gambler. You only need about 2-3 chunks of wood half that size. The amount you used would definately over smoke the meat. Let us know how the next one turns out.

I agree. I use 3 pieces right on top of the coal basket when the meat goes on. None in the middle or bottom. I do not think it infuses with smoke past the 3-4 hour mark. IMHO

By the way meatburner cool avatar! :heh:

...go lighter on the wood perhaps, also, let it come to temp before adding the meat, go for that light blue smoke, which will change color once the meat fat starts dripping on the coals.

On my first cook, I added too many lit coals and had to bring it down from 325 to 250 before adding meat. But I think the problem was too much wood chunks. On my second cook, I put less lit coals, (and less wood chunks) and brought it up to temp before adding meat. My problem is, I think I should have waited for the wood chunks to mellow out on the smoke before adding the meat. I added the meat before the smoke changed to that light blue color. The thing is, once it changed to the right color, it didn't last that long. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I'm used to cooking on an offset with nothing but wood. How do I get a nice light blue smoke, and keep it going for at least an hour, if not longer?

Back