THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jay's right... regardless of the costs, this "hobby" we have is a blast! :-D I'd find a way to pay whatever I had to to continue to be able to do what I love to do. And I didn't mean to come across as anything other than surprised on some of the dollar amounts spent on contests but maybe I take for granted the number of local contests in my area and that MAYBE the reason most are cheaper to enter is that there are so many, they are in competition with each other for teams to attend. I don't know... just a theory I suppose. :wink:

On the "profit" on my mileage reimbursement, if I had a new car that I was wanting to make last for awhile, I would agree with you. But my car is thankfully finally paid off :grin: :grin: :grin: , has 166,000 miles on it and has had minimal maintenance. I plan to trade it in within the next year so as long as it lasts (knock on wood), wear and tear aren't big issues here. I'm still gonna claim it as profit, if only to justify sticking it into BBQ contest funds! :lol:

Just to throw something else into the equation, for the benefit of members starting out, there are startup costs. Tents, tables, kitchen equiptment, trailers, etc. If you dont have an RV, there could be lodging involved.. I know i go a little overboard with the "extra" food(prime rib, breakfasts stuff, etc..), but then there is the general grocery bill to replenish supplies(paper goods, juices, contiments, pans, foils, etc).. i was shocked that to replenish my kitchen between contests last year ran over 300$, then before leavin, 30-40$ in ice to pack the coolers before you get to contest sites. Contest here run me well over $1000.

add in the cost of the family attending... additional hotel rooms, and leisure money for them... Ouch.

Doorbusters said:
I do not want to be priced out of my one and only hobby.

Work on expanding the size of your team. Or find another team with the same concerns and 'merge'.

We have a six person team and at the beginning of the season we each put $500 in a team bank acccount. Some sponsor cash on top of that and all prize money goes back into the account. My wife likes very much that all expenses come out of the team account!

With a larger team you need clear roles - cooking a competition category by committee is usually a bad idea. But more team members means less work.

Phil is right!!! If you go 1st Class with all the trimmings, a comp will cost $1000.00. Hey, it is only green paper. You get some, you get rid of it, you get some more. It's called work!!!! and play!!!!!!!
Work hard all day, play hard all night.
Ah, life is good!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
Ed

Agreed, contests costs are rising, but I also remember when smokes cost less than a buck, and you didn't have to pay for radio. If you want to play, you need to figure out how to do it, the earlier in the year, the better. We average about $500 for a one day BBQ comp. If you add in a grilling day, the cost practically doubles. This also depends on where we travel to for an event. Like iQue said, teammates are the key here. We take on all application fees (in NE, that can run you upwards of $200 per easily!), transportation costs for our pick-up, and meat/garnish costs, but our teammates really got our back with food and beverages throughout the weekend, and anything else we ask of them. If your mates love to Q, usually they are more than willing to help defray costs. Hotel ? What the hell is that? We just sleep under the EZ UP, even in Georgia, by the side of the road, and even when my kids come. There are ways to cut costs that won't hurt the style in which you are accustomed to living, it just takes some research, better planning, and lots of asking questions. This forum, and others) is extremely helpful, and full of people who are willing to answer questions and go ON and ON and ON about stuff.....heheh....
One suggestion ... this has worked out well for us...we do our taxes, EARLY, figure out what is BBQ expendable, and that part of the refund goes into the lunchmeat account. Any prize money that we may win also goes in, and at the end of last year we took our "profit" (for lack of a better word) and competed in Douglas, GA. Granted, it took a BUNCH of out-of-pocket cash also, (gas especially) but just to go and compete, and end up doing well against the best of the best in the country.....SO WORTH IT!
Good Luck, and keep on Q'in'~
michelle

As Chris and Michelle have both mentioned, there are some good ways to cut your costs to compete. It seems there's some significant interest here to learn more about that. I am also one who would be interested to learn more ideas from experienced competitors. If any of you with cost-cutting ideas would chime in with your suggestions, this would make a nice thread to bookmark in the roadmap IMHO.

Back