THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Buddy called and said next trip to Deer Lease he's gonna whack a doe and a pig and wants to grind all of it for sausages. He's made sausages before but not smoked sausages. Wants to try it in one of my smokers.....

I don't know if I should do a charcoal fire with chips or chunks or split the split splits for tiny wood fire.....? He's gonna have to split all the wood to kindling if we go that route - I ain't doing it.......I'll cut splits to large wood chunks on my chop saw......

I cold smoke in my wsm with an amazen smoke tube and pellets, works pretty well and couldn't be easier. I always had trouble keeping the temps down with a wood/charcoal fire, my best luck with a wood/charcoal fire was when I started adding ice and cold water to the water pan, it worked but was a hassle....the smoke tube is a breeze.

I cold smoke in my wsm with an amazen smoke tube and pellets, works pretty well and couldn't be easier. I always had trouble keeping the temps down with a wood/charcoal fire, my best luck with a wood/charcoal fire was when I started adding ice and cold water to the water pan, it worked but was a hassle....the smoke tube is a breeze.

^^^
Smoketube is the way to go...only problem as you know here in TX not too many opportunities to get the right weather to do this.

Attachments

• Cheese.jpg
    Cheese.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 187
You could make a small fire from chips or splits. But for me it's difficult to keep the temps way low. Like others said the smoke tube would work but I have never tried it. I'm cheap and use a soldering iron tin can and chips. I'm only speaking on experience with cheese. Good luck.

Y'all that cold smoke sausages what temp n how long.?

I've never "cold" smoked sausages. but wouldn't it be the same for jerky? Need to run a temp between 140-160? Trust me, It was pretty easy to run a very small fire to run 140-160. I did jerky a while back with a small fire. maintained an easy 140-160 temp. There was a couple times it got slightly out of hand and I just opened the cook chamber door.

I have done the chip thing to maintain (try) 140-160. I would get or build a pellet smoker.

I like the maze over the tube model, but either one is the way to go for cold smoking all the way down to room temp or below.

I use my 22.5" WSM. I use a electric heating element along with the AMAZN maze .
PID holds temps perfectly Dry at 130F for 3 hours, Bump temp to 145F and add heavy smoke for 3-4 hours. Switch out the heating element for a Hot plate with a pan of boiling water. Steam until sausage reaches 155F(Normally 45 minutes). Cool and bloom. Done deal.

Back