THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
I have made a ton of bacon in the past but have always hot smoked it, I just took about 9 pounds out of the cure and drying it in the fridge now. I am thinking of trying to cold smoke it this time. I have an A-MAZE-N unit but understand that it needs to be run in a heated environment to avoid creosote -- so I am thinking of using my BWS--running a snake like of coals in the fire box and running the A-MAZE-N in the cooking chamber. Any reason that this won't work? Should I have water or sand in the water pan? Any thoughts welcome and Pr0n to follow

Thanks

Ackman!
This is what i do for cold smoking.Just place a briquet on top of the saw dust.
With an outside ambient tem. of 30* to 45* degrees,my smoke chamber never gets above 70*. Your snake idea will more likely will get you well over
150*
I get a 10 to 12 hr. smoke with my contraption.I leave the meat hanging in the smoke box for 24 hrs. and do a second smoke,rest again and smoke again, until i get the color i want. Good luck.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 89
I'm not entirely sure why the whole lot doesn't just go up, I use one of these things and it's always burned around the maze rather than jumping

IMG_4013.jpg

I have made a ton of bacon in the past but have always hot smoked it, I just took about 9 pounds out of the cure and drying it in the fridge now. I am thinking of trying to cold smoke it this time. I have an A-MAZE-N unit but understand that it needs to be run in a heated environment to avoid creosote -- so I am thinking of using my BWS--running a snake like of coals in the fire box and running the A-MAZE-N in the cooking chamber. Any reason that this won't work? Should I have water or sand in the water pan? Any thoughts welcome and Pr0n to follow

Thanks

Not true about having to run in a heated environment.

I cold smoke my my hams for six hours with the A=Maze-N pellet smoker before adding heat to the smoker to bring to a safe finish temperature. I also cold smoke my bacon for 4 hours before applying heat to bring to a safe finish temperature..

As long as you have airflow the smoke does not condensate into droplets in the smoker.

Back