THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Could you use a coffee can with the bottom cut out for a Vortex substitute? Would you need to fire it up a few times with no food around to burn off the paint?

I'm all ears :)

The smaller diameter and the height might be a problem. I use this, which is 10 in. di., smaller than a vortex. A strip of non-galvanized steel would work. I just hook mine together with a S-hook.

picture.php

I use the institutional gallon sized cans I get when making baked beans for this on occasion...

I will use multiple cookers, and I have more cookers than I do chimney starters...

Cheap chrome plated bowls from discount stores are easily cut with a Dremel and cost about three bucks. Then put a real Votex from an AD on your Christmas list and HVR buffalo wing yourself into a chicken coma like Jim Morrison.

I buy stainless bowls from Goodwill for a dollar or two and cut the bottom out with a grinder. Works well.

As for the coffee can, I use a small one in my UDS basket. I place the can in the center of the basket and pour lump around it. Then I fill the can with water. It works good for moisture.

Turning a dog food bowl into a "poor man's vortex" I've heard of. (done it actually)

But using a can of water in the basket of a UDS is a new one on me. Depriving yourself of coal basket room to add moisture to a cooker that is known for having it in abundance?

OK... party on.

The small vortex dimensions are
5 1/2 inches tall
7 7/8 wide, small diameter
11 5/8 wide large diameter
A coffee can is around half the diameter. That's not enough coals for a very long cook. Definitely would have to burn off the paint.

Picked up a 5-quart stainless mixing bowl from Big Lots for a mere 7 bucks. Cut the top/bottom off and looks like a perfect fit for my seldom used Weber. Looking forward to trying it out.

Turning a dog food bowl into a "poor man's vortex" I've heard of. (done it actually)

But using a can of water in the basket of a UDS is a new one on me. Depriving yourself of coal basket room to add moisture to a cooker that is known for having it in abundance?

OK... party on.

No worries brother! There's been a lot of things I've read on here that were "a new one on me". Some turned out good,, some bad. To be honest, I can't say that I've measured humidity/moisture inside the cooker with or without the small can of water. Out of curiosity I tried it one day on a brisket cook and the results warranted continued usage. So far I've not had a basket capacity issue in the drum.

Party On Brother:thumb:

Back