THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Hi All What is the best way to clean a Shirley? I was thinking about getting temps to 400 and hit with a spray hose. Yesterday did some ribs on the bottom shelf , had some black grease making spots on the ribs. So I think it is time for a cleaning.
Thanks Dan

i just scrape the crud off the racks and out of the baffle/rf plate. it sounds like you may only need to wipe down the grates and top of the cook chamber as that is probably where the grease is dripping from.

Not sure I'd want to shock the metal like that. I'd recommend renting a power washer. If I wanted it like new, I'd use a scraper (putty knife) to get the heavy crap out. Then I'd power wash it to loosen up the rest, then I'd hit it with rags and Simple Green, then power wash it out a final time. You'd probably have to re-season after that.

Not sure I'd want to shock the metal like that. I'd recommend renting a power washer. If I wanted it like new, I'd use a scraper (putty knife) to get the heavy crap out. Then I'd power wash it to loosen up the rest, then I'd hit it with rags and Simple Green, then power wash it out a final time. You'd probably have to re-season after that.

I'd be skeptical of using ANY kind of cleaner in the cook chamber where the food lies. Ben Lang has a terrific set of YouTube videos on cleaning out his reverse flow rigs. Heat and water from a hose are all that's needed. Besides, why knock the seasoning out of the pores of the metal?

I scrape grates after every cook. Then scrape the baffle plate and inside top of the cook chamber every 2 or 3 cooks. Once a year I hit the grates with the power washer. Don't need to use water and never use cleaners inside the cook chamber. you could power wash the inside, but then you will need to re season it.

I scrape grates after every cook. Then scrape the baffle plate and inside top of the cook chamber every 2 or 3 cooks. Once a year I hit the grates with the power washer. Don't need to use water and never use cleaners inside the cook chamber. you could power wash the inside, but then you will need to re season it.

I was thinking of cleaning my Shirley this weekend for the first time. (I have 5 or so cooks on it) I bought it used but it's been very well maintained. So you just clean the inside of the cooking chamber the best you can without any water? Sorry for such a broad question. What do you use to clean everything out with? Thanks!

Yep, check the Lang videos. Hot smoker and then add some water for a steam clean. I've also had to take a large drywall scraper to the sides and top of the cook chamber from time to time to remove the carbon deposits, but that is not an often occurrence. I also scrape my baffle plate clean every few cooks..

I had good luck on my Lang using their process with the water hose once it's hot. Just stand back so you don't get scalded. That kept the interior pretty dang clean.

On my large commercial smokers, I use a food grade caustic cleaner from Zep called Super Doug. It eats through grease and really does a great job. It doesn't do much for creosote though, but grease just melts away.

Cleaning

Hi All I think I'm going to just scrape the grates. I already have scraped the baffle plate a few times. Would use the hot spray route but I don't want to have to reasoned the pit.
Thanks DanB

I just started using Food Grade Mineral Oil for the outside of my Lang. Cheap on Amazon. Protects against rust and supposedly doesn't build up or get sticky.

Inside I take it to 300 and spray it out every 4-5 cooks. Then scrape down the reverse flow plate. Use a wire brush on the grates every cook.

Hi All What is the best way to clean a Shirley? I was thinking about getting temps to 400 and hit with a spray hose. Yesterday did some ribs on the bottom shelf , had some black grease making spots on the ribs. So I think it is time for a cleaning.
Thanks Dan
I did just that :-D Look at the gauge on the warmer compared to the main

I scrape top and plate often too

c845e9681dec3a3fe25a721337fad4eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hi All I think I'm going to just scrape the grates. I already have scraped the baffle plate a few times. Would use the hot spray route but I don't want to have to reasoned the pit.
Thanks DanB

Steam cleaning should not make it necessary to re season.

Where is everyone power washing their Shirley? Back yard? Front yard? Self car wash? I would hate to get all the grease stains running down my driveway...

I bought a putty knife and a window washing squeegee; affixed both to old broom handles. Now, scrap the dickens out of the RF plate and collect it all along with any remaining fat with the squeegee into a pile. Discard as you see fit. There you go! Clean Shirley and no re-seasoning. Treat it like a cast iron skillet and you'll never go wrong.

just scrape the inside with a steel putty knife and the roof . give a light coat of Pam again and fire it up and also scoop the ash out from under the reverse flow plate because the draft of the smoker sucks a lot of ashes under there .

My Old MeadowCreek I would stream clean it after every cook. And before the next. I also brushed down the grates. And cleaned the baffle after every cook. Sprayed down with Canola oil after steam cleaning after cook only.

I was thinking of cleaning my Shirley this weekend for the first time. (I have 5 or so cooks on it) I bought it used but it's been very well maintained. So you just clean the inside of the cooking chamber the best you can without any water? Sorry for such a broad question. What do you use to clean everything out with? Thanks!

here is the scraper that I use.

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 211
My Old MeadowCreek I would stream clean it after every cook. And before the next. I also brushed down the grates. And cleaned the baffle after every cook. Sprayed down with Canola oil after steam cleaning after cook only.

dude, you are way, way more dedicated than i am. :thumb:

Shirley

I'd be skeptical of using ANY kind of cleaner in the cook chamber where the food lies. Ben Lang has a terrific set of YouTube videos on cleaning out his reverse flow rigs. Heat and water from a hose are all that's needed. Besides, why knock the seasoning out of the pores of the metal?

Hi All If I heat my smoker up to 300/400 and spray with a hose , how do I contain the water that will coming out of the drain? Can't let just run loose the smoker is on grass.
Thanks DanB

Back