THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a large BGE and love it. My client in Houston has a Primo and I use it alot when I'm down there. To me, it would come down to $$ and which is cheaper. In a perfect world I would have both.
You will most likely have a table built for your purchase. Make sure the whole area under the cooker is fireproof- not just set on a paving stone with exposed wood in front. Make sure the whole table surface is easily cleaned and fire/heat proof. Not just a 12" square. I had a piece of stainless bent to fit on my table which is great for cleaning up after raw chicken or having a place to set a hot platesetter.
My client has a nice rounded table but it does have a lot of scares from hot coals and items.
BTW- the ceramics are wonderful in the winter. Oh, and my kid sez you should go with the heaviest smoker you can get.... so the mesquitos don't carry it away! Maybe thats just a St Albert thing.

I have a large BGE and love it. My client in Houston has a Primo and I use it alot when I'm down there. To me, it would come down to $$ and which is cheaper. In a perfect world I would have both.
You will most likely have a table built for your purchase. Make sure the whole area under the cooker is fireproof- not just set on a paving stone with exposed wood in front. Make sure the whole table surface is easily cleaned and fire/heat proof. Not just a 12" square. I had a piece of stainless bent to fit on my table which is great for cleaning up after raw chicken or having a place to set a hot platesetter.
My client has a nice rounded table but it does have a lot of scares from hot coals and items.
BTW- the ceramics are wonderful in the winter. Oh, and my kid sez you should go with the heaviest smoker you can get.... so the mesquitos don't carry it away! Maybe thats just a St Albert thing.

The Primo is a lot cheaper than the Egg. The Oval XL is $1199 vs. $1499-$1599 CAD for the BGE XL. BGE says they charge more to Canadian customers to compensate for shipping and lower sales volumes.

Yet Butte Montana, About 600 Miles away from Calgary, they sell the Egg for $1099. Butte is a city of 35,000 people. Calgary is a city of 1.2 Million with a metro of 1.4 million. Edmonton is another 150 miles away and the City has a population 900 thousand and a Metro of 1.5 Million people.

Why would anyone in Vancouver pay this price when they can easily get parts shipped from Seattle. BGE need to re-think their Canadian price strategy. That may help them with their sales volume if more people can afford their products.

If Primo can keep the price close to their US List, I don't understand why BGE is having these issue. Both companies are from Atlanta. The shipping issues should be the same. Come on BGE, if Primo can do it so can you.

Next question: Do you NEED all that space? Why don't you start with a large Egg?

Always buy the biggest smoker you can afford. You will never regret extra space, but not having enough can be a real problem. Also, I think the one draw back to this type of smoker is space to begin with. Go for the big one!

Back