THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Sammy
I think someone here led me to this guy's videos and the brisket cook he did looked intriguing. I had a prime brisket from HEB in the fridge so I figured I would give it a shot.

I sharpened my boning knife on my Work Sharp KO. Within about 15 minutes I was bleeding profusely because I tapped the blade on my finger. I did a terrible job on a pretty heavy trim.

This method calls for fat cap up. I am smoking on a Lang so I stacked the racks in the chamber in order to get the brisket a little further away from the plate. Heavy salt and pepper rub seems to have hidden the massacre of a trim I did.

Lang is heating up now. Brisket will go on shortly as well as a chunk of pork belly for dinner tonight. Eventually the brisket will go in a foil boat and once it's done it will go in the oven to hold until dinner tomorrow.

Any predictions on the degree of failure I will achieve with this plan? I will try to update with pics as we move along.

Plan sounds good. Sliced finger does not. The “ boat” worked great on my last Costco prime that came pre-hacked with an errant slice on the lean side from the packer. I’ve never heard of this Chud person and thought you were referring canabalistic humanoid underground dwellers.

Not the prettiest picture, but that rascal has been boated now. The hatchet job I did on the trim left a nice little pool near the edge of the flat. I had thrown a piece of pork belly on to have for dinner tonight. Cook wise it was a total bomb because I got hungry and pulled it early. However, I threw the meat in a sandwich and it was still good, hard to make pork belly bad.

Attachments

• IMG_E0610.jpg
    IMG_E0610.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 207
Pulled it off and I am pretty encouraged so far. It is probing very nice and the bark looks great. The original plan was to have it for dinner tomorrow, but that would end up being about a 20+ hour hold in the oven. I think I will have it for lunch instead.

Sounds like you need a new way to test the sharpness of a knife and sounds like you did a good job on the brisket

Great looking brisket!

Never heard of Chud, had to check him out, I like him.

I finally cut into it after a 21 hour hold in my oven I was kinda surprised that it wasn't just a completely dry hunk of leather. There were a few parts that were dried out, but overall it was better than I expected. I used the 2 part pepper 1 part salt for the rub and that is perfect. It was a fun experiment and I learned a couple of things.

Attachments

• IMG_E0611.jpg
    IMG_E0611.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 109
After some more time to chew on the brisket and reflect on the situation I realized that this is the best brisket I have ever cooked. I think this was due to two major factors. The rub was perfect for my tastes as I like heavy pepper. The other part was cooking fat cap up.

I have always cooked fat cap down because I wanted to protect the meat from the heat. After tonight I just want to protect the fat. When I cook fat down the fat gets bolliterated and I don't get the awesome pieces of fat with nice rub.

This wasn't a perfect brisket by any means, but I definitely learned some stuff and I have a better idea on how I want to cook brisket going forward.

Back