Chuck roast chopped beef sammiches

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
Never smoked a chuck roast before but seems to be what everyone is doing these days. Couldn't have picked a worse time to buy at almost $8/lb.

Seasoned with Simply Marvelous peppered cow then smoked at 250 for 3 hrs or so until about 160. Wrapped in butcher paper than threw in the over for about 2.5 more hrs at 300. Internal temp was 209 before it probed tender. Let is sit for 30 min on the counter then chopped and served.

Was it as good as chopped brisket? No, not in my opinion. It's just not quite as 'beefy' in flavor if that makes sense. The rub tasted fantastic before it went on. Was bummed I couldn't really discern it much at all when done. Maybe I just needed more.

Don't get me wrong, it was an fantastic meal but the price per lb seems crazy when compared to brisket. Chopped brisket is arguably tastier as well so hard to justify the extra expense. Will likely try again with simple S/P rub.

Glad I tried it. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed!

s38MtCP.jpg

aZOr7Ko.jpg

Bsfo1Gp.jpg

MmlSVTJ.jpg

It seems to me that the peppered cow needs more salt. I think the salt is what helps pull the seasoning farther into the meat. Others here know a lot more about that science. Chuck looks great!!

Yikes..$8 pound for chuck roast???
Anyway, you dish looked fantastic! I have only done chuck roasts into burnt ends.

That looks great Try smoking it and put it in a pan with onions, peppers, beer and some garlic Raise the chuck roast on foil balls, cover and cook till probe tender Shred the roast and cook some more to condense the fluid Is very good

I've done a few slabs of chuck before. My current technique is to sous vide at 140F for 12 hours, then hot smoke for a few hours. Simple salt, pepper, garlic powder seasoning before the sous vide.

smoke_sous_chuck.jpg

Tender, juicy and tasty!

mjb.

SRF waygu brisket for less than choice chuck. What's this world coming to!

Back