THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
I have no idea what to call these if there is a name. :-D This week's throwdown was for breakfast meats. When I saw that, I was "quelle coincidence" as I was planning something already that falls in that category.

When I finished freezing my chorizo from a few weeks ago, I had an oddball chunk that was a little over 1/2 pound. Also, I had half of a tube of breakfast sausage that's been sitting in my freezer for several months. I decided it was time to do something about this.

2k21s1.jpg

First, I mixed the meats together and formed it into the shape of a fatty.

2ln8rq8.jpg

2i0w7b5.jpg

Next, it went onto the PBC for a smoke.

2cerrrs.jpg

292mqsw.jpg

I should note that this was smoked on Saturday after I did a pork butt. It didn't make sense to waste the remaining heat on those charcoals. This morning, I chopped up the fatty and reheated it on a skillet.

dr2qs8.jpg

Afterwards, I whipped up some eggs and scrambled them.

2v2axyu.jpg

2iax6gy.jpg

This was the same skillet that I used to reheat the fatty. The eggs took on some of the fatty's flavor. :biggrin:

Now, Murpy's law being what it is. As I was getting ready to assemble the tacos, I discovered that the cheese I was going to use was gone. However, I found a package of chipotle white cheddar cheese. Turns out it was a blessing in disguise.

2v0fyo9.jpg

All done and ready to eat.

25au5x2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That sounds like it really tasted great and I love that you soaked up the flavour from the pan with scrambled eggs. Great how the cheese worked out, too. :becky: Are we invited for breakfast? :hungry:

That sounds like it really tasted great and I love that you soaked up the flavour from the pan with scrambled eggs. Great how the cheese worked out, too. :becky: Are we invited for breakfast? :hungry:

I'm am sorry to disappoint but there wasn't any leftovers. :biggrin:

Sounds great. How'd it taste? How long was the cook and what temp did you get the fatty to on the PBC?

My wife and I had a sample before I put it in the fridge for the night (of course, for quality control reasons :whistle:). It was great and we just had to share another slice. I figured that the chorizo would still be the dominant flavor and I was right with that. The chorizo, sausage, and smoke flavors melded very well.

The PBC was running about 320-340* and I think that was mostly because of the wind. Towards the end of the fatty cook, it had dropped down to 240-260. I didn't track time but I would guess it was about an hour and half.

Back