Chorizo and sausage fatty breakfast tacos

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
I have no idea what to call these if there is a name. :-D This week's throwdown was for breakfast meats. When I saw that, I was "quelle coincidence" as I was planning something already that falls in that category.

When I finished freezing my chorizo from a few weeks ago, I had an oddball chunk that was a little over 1/2 pound. Also, I had half of a tube of breakfast sausage that's been sitting in my freezer for several months. I decided it was time to do something about this.

2k21s1.jpg

First, I mixed the meats together and formed it into the shape of a fatty.

2ln8rq8.jpg

2i0w7b5.jpg

Next, it went onto the PBC for a smoke.

2cerrrs.jpg

292mqsw.jpg

I should note that this was smoked on Saturday after I did a pork butt. It didn't make sense to waste the remaining heat on those charcoals. This morning, I chopped up the fatty and reheated it on a skillet.

dr2qs8.jpg

Afterwards, I whipped up some eggs and scrambled them.

2v2axyu.jpg

2iax6gy.jpg

This was the same skillet that I used to reheat the fatty. The eggs took on some of the fatty's flavor. :biggrin:

Now, Murpy's law being what it is. As I was getting ready to assemble the tacos, I discovered that the cheese I was going to use was gone. However, I found a package of chipotle white cheddar cheese. Turns out it was a blessing in disguise.

2v0fyo9.jpg

All done and ready to eat.

25au5x2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That sounds like it really tasted great and I love that you soaked up the flavour from the pan with scrambled eggs. Great how the cheese worked out, too. :becky: Are we invited for breakfast? :hungry:

Sounds great. How'd it taste? How long was the cook and what temp did you get the fatty to on the PBC?

That sounds like it really tasted great and I love that you soaked up the flavour from the pan with scrambled eggs. Great how the cheese worked out, too. :becky: Are we invited for breakfast? :hungry:

I'm am sorry to disappoint but there wasn't any leftovers. :biggrin:

Sounds great. How'd it taste? How long was the cook and what temp did you get the fatty to on the PBC?

My wife and I had a sample before I put it in the fridge for the night (of course, for quality control reasons :whistle:). It was great and we just had to share another slice. I figured that the chorizo would still be the dominant flavor and I was right with that. The chorizo, sausage, and smoke flavors melded very well.

The PBC was running about 320-340* and I think that was mostly because of the wind. Towards the end of the fatty cook, it had dropped down to 240-260. I didn't track time but I would guess it was about an hour and half.

Back