THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A quality smoker will give you a better smoking experience. A thinner metal smoker can put out just as good a quality Q,but you will worker harder trying to achieve it.
What kind of fence do you have? Gate openings can be changed...

The OK Joe's from Lowe's don't seem to be terrible for the price. I wouldn't consider them in the COS category. That plus the horizon smokers convection plate and you would certainly be capable of attaining close to even Temps across the grates and not have to fight to keep it up to temp like you would on a COS. I built a 20x40 offset and was seeing 50 to 100 degrees difference from side to side. I made a convection plate using the horizon as a model and now see 10 degrees or less across the grates.

You reserve the UHaul yet?

Hi Smitty. I'm still debating. Also, it turns out the used Lang was already sold (before I even found it online), so it's now between a cheap "learning" smoker like an OK Joe, or a $1000 + shipping KAT 32x17 which is a big risk in case I end up hating stick-burning.

I've got time to decide, though, because I don't yet have the space in my yard cleared (have to remove a few bushes and build a small deck to fit it in).

Thanks to everyone for the input, it's been very useful!

Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered my OK Joe Highland from Lowes for store pickup.. $263 out the door after taxes. Thanks coupons! :) Now to start modding...

That's the little one. I'd of gone Longhorn.

Any how's, order a convection plate from Horizon or copy it and make your own.

Update:
I've got my OK Joe Highland (a shipping snafu at Lowes got me a discount, so I got it for $213 out the door after taxes! (used a coupon too)), and I've done some mods:

• Extended exhaust vent down to the grate using a galvanized elbow. I know the debate on galvanized, but I'm pretty secure on this after a few hours of research.
  • Put gasket and RTV around cooker door and firebox door. Put RTV around firebox seam.
  • Built a basic convection plate and heat deflector by drilling holes in cheap AirBake aluminum sheet pans.
  • Installed two Tel-Tru thermometers near grate level.
I also built a wood rack and got 1/4 cord of oak. Its seasoned and dry, but some of it is a little on the rotting side. Will burn through it and try to find a better supplier.

This week when the rain lets up I'm going to do my burn-in and start testing temps across the grate. Soon: Restaurant Depot and my first brisket!

Thanks for all the help everyone! My plan is still to learn on the OK Joe and upgrade to a KAT when I someday have the budget to build my dream outdoor kitchen. :)

Keodark,

Just read through the whole thread. Great read with everyone weighing in.

Just a couple of thoughts after reading trough. I lived in San Jose for over 20 years. And the best place I have found to buy my meats, especially brisket and boston butt, is Cash and Carry on San Carlos st. Beats RD hands down in my book. Also, Lillie Mae's House Of Soul Food in Santa Clara on Coleman Ave always had some great BBQ when I lived there. And just across the street from them right by Costco, is a store called in-line sports. The also carry a bunch of Yoder smokers. It's kind of fun to just go look.

If you ever feel like picking up the skills, and tools to make your own pits, there is nothing like it!

Well, enjoy the new pit!

after you master your new pit get yourself a LANG or other quality pit i personally would suggest a r.f. they are really very easy to cook on and they seam to cook faster from the heat coming up from the plate used to create the r.f. there is plenty of smoke flow certain big time bbq restaurateurs like to dog r.f. and tuning plate smokers remember a JAMBO has tuning plates halve fun with your new smoker

Congrats on the cooker, now lets see some pics!

If you upgrade to a better cooker, I would skip the Lang. It's a middle of the road cooker. There's a video on YouTube where Lang loans one to Aaron Franklin for a cook. They try to put the squeeze on him and ask his opinion. He clearly is not impressed and gives some "nice" answer like "Well, it's not what I'm used to. It's different...". Then Lang tried to claim that the long line at Aaron's booth "Is because the great food being put out by the Lang cooker!".

Lang in my opinion is just a shady company that whores out their junk to anyone who will listen. Gator Pit of Texas has a 9 month wait list and they don't advertise at all. The product speak for itself. How long is the wait for a Lang? 0 months. It's like a good doctor. Good doctors don't have to advertise.

Congrats on the cooker, now lets see some pics!

If you upgrade to a better cooker, I would skip the Lang. It's a middle of the road cooker. There's a video on YouTube where Lang loans one to Aaron Franklin for a cook. They try to put the squeeze on him and ask his opinion. He clearly is not impressed and gives some "nice" answer like "Well, it's not what I'm used to. It's different...". Then Lang tried to claim that the long line at Aaron's booth "Is because the great food being put out by the Lang cooker!".

Lang in my opinion is just a shady company that whores out their junk to anyone who will listen. Gator Pit of Texas has a 9 month wait list and they don't advertise at all. The product speak for itself. How long is the wait for a Lang? 0 months. It's like a good doctor. Good doctors don't have to advertise.

Rockinar......please post a picture of your Gator pit. I am sure you own one. Right? Plus, I am sure it is at least a Party Gator because you would not have any of the lesser models that Ritchie builds. Only the best for you! Congratulations.

BTW, Ritchie at Gator Pits builds a great cooker. What he does not do is knock down other builder's products.

I am not a Lang owner nor plan to be. Just a guy that enjoys friendly help and opinions from others on this forum.

I hope you are saving your pennies. It won't take long for you to want a bigger, or more advanced cooker. welcome to the addiction! A long time ago, a friend of mine let me borrow his OK Joe (with mods). A few months later I got a homemade trailer unity, and about six months later, a nice shiny new one from Texas:)

Seasoning and first cook complete! I did a pair of fatties: a classic pork-sausage-and-rub one, and a pork and ground elk one stuffed with mushrooms, onions, and swiss and wrapped in bacon weave. Turned out awesome! The classic fatty is a little tough on its own (probably didn't get one with enough fat in it), but on a biscuit sandwich it's perfect.

Smoker ran well, with about a 25-degree differential across the grates, likely owing to my aluminum heat deflector and convection plate, which weren't very scientifically made. I ran between 200 and 275 for most of the cook, and brought both fatties to 165 internal (of course the larger one took a few hours longer). I ran the cooker dry for 3 hours before putting on the fatties.

fatty1.jpg

fatty2.jpg

fatty3.jpg

fatty4.jpg

fatty5.jpg

fatty6.jpg

Back