THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay, that is one cooker that I have never cooked on, however, my first thought is that you will be using thin, very thin steel for your cooker. Despite using the fire bricks, you are building a fairly inefficient cooker. And that spells frustration, although, you live in San Jose, so most days you are not going to be fighting terrible cold or winds. Still, I would recommend one of two routes, buy a $500 smoker that is reasonably built, or grabbing your huevos and jumping in with a true smoker. You'll be happier with the better smoker.

Keep your eyes open on craigslist for a used Klose smoker. I have seen a few backyard units down in SoCal recently. They are pricey, but you might find a used Backyard Chef in your price range. These are well made, top quality smokers.

Good luck,
Bill

I currently have a RF I've had since 1977 made out of scd40 pipe and I bought a LSG offset vertical a few months ago. Both are very good. The new one seems a little easier to maintain my temps but both do very well. They do require lots of monitoring.

Interesting... are there any $500-range smokers (readily available, there's no Academy in CA) that are Reverse Flow, or are relatively easy (no weld) to mod for RF?

Interesting... are there any $500-range smokers (readily available, there's no Academy in CA) that are Reverse Flow, or are relatively easy (no weld) to mod for RF?

No. And no cuz you would have to move the exhaust to other end and close off original hole besides the plate.

Lonestargrillz uses 24 inch pipe, where Kat uses 20 inch for the cooking chamber.

You would be hard pressed to find better construction than Lonestargrillz. The attention to detail in the construction is amazing.

Reverse flow? Shirley or KAT

Tuning plates? LSG (I went this route for personal preference)

Only problem with LSG or Shirley is footing the bill for shipping. Both are well worth it but well over your budget also when you add shipping.

As for Academy, I bought a ton of stuff from them since they ship to CA. Check out the Old Country smokers. CL is also an option for something like a Klose or a Lang that come up at times.

This one is 1/4" steel and ships for $99 and no tax. Downside is you can't return since there isn't a store here.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-all-american-brazos-smoker?repChildCatid=650566

A used Lang 36 would be perfect for a small yard and learning on. I would regularly load my Lang 48 in my pickup by myself with ramp and a cheap come along. Two people could easily roll it onto a UHual trailer. It's more than enough capacity to start, easy to learn on and resale value is great if you ever decide to up your capacity.

Keep your eyes open on craigslist for a used Klose smoker. I have seen a few backyard units down in SoCal recently. They are pricey, but you might find a used Backyard Chef in your price range. These are well made, top quality smokers.

Good luck,
Bill

I too vote for high quality used. Borrow a trailer or rent one. Find a local wrecker company that is delivering a wreck on a carrier where you find your used one and get them to bring it back as a backhaul-this may require time and patience.

Hmm.. A dilemna on the used Lang 36: I measured, and my backyard gate opening is 36", but the Lang is 39" wide, including the prep area/grate. It looks to me like it's welded on. The fence isn't going anywhere, so I'd have to take an angle grinder to 3" of the prep grate to get it into the backyard... Curse tiny California back yards!

Curse Ca. Period............ I could never live there............ :mrgreen:

I need pics but could you cut it off and re-attach no weld style.? Or cook in your driveway like me. :shock:

Thanks to all who are say KAT....... I love the Brethren

The most important thing for you when choosing a smoker is to do your home and pick one the fits your style of cooking and budget.

There are many vary good builders out there so make some phone calls:

Shirley
Lone Star
Klose
Lang
KAT
and many more...........

All good people and willing to talk to you to help you make the right discussion.

Just looked at your site, some nice looking smokers there

Thanks to all who are say KAT....... I love the Brethren

The most important thing for you when choosing a smoker is to do your home and pick one the fits your style of cooking and budget.

There are many vary good builders out there so make some phone calls:

Shirley
Lone Star
Klose
Lang
KAT
and many more...........

All good people and willing to talk to you to help you make the right discussion.

Thanks for joining in, Ken. Where I'm at now is:
* I want to learn offset stick burning
* I'd like to avoid the frustrations of doing so on a COS
* I don't think I'm ready for the commitment of a custom-built $1500 (+ shipping) smoker.

I could go UDS, but I feel that I wouldn't really be learning stick-burning. I could build a no-weld double drum smoker, but that's going to be no better than a COS. I could buy a $500 mid-range smoker and mod it, but then I'd be out $500 if I decide to upgrade in the near future. I could buy a $900 (+$300 in rental equipment and gas to get it home) used Lang, but I'd have to cut it up to get it in the back yard. [Edit: nevermind that, the Lang was sold]

Still got some thinking to do. :)

Last edited:
Back