THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm in Ohio, so I'm in the same boat...no such thing as fresh shrimp around here. I NEVER buy cooked shrimp. I think that's the most important thing, always buy raw.

The best flavor is definitely with the shells on. The EZ peel ones with the vein already taken out is great for convenience, but I typically find myself buying the ones that I still have to devein.

Like others I NEVER buy farm raised. The disgusting method those things are farmed in is enough to make me not even want to eat it. I think if you can find US farmed shrimp they're held to higher cleanliness standards, but everything I find around here that's farmed is usually from Asia. Unfortunately, many of the wild caught options aren't exactly sustainable fisheries...quite the catch-22. Here is a link to a good chart for reference:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/shrimp?q=Shrimp

That chart is, of course, not concerned with which options taste the best, they're rated purely on their impact on the environment.

You poor souls, well at least you don't have to deal with the hurricanes.
smugshot_9857820-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Alway's buy domestic wild caught frozen shrimp, Texas farm raised is good too, I have found that you can usually buy frozen gulf shrimp from Sam's or Costco, Emeril has a line of gulf shrimp also, you maybe able to search and find a store that carries them.

I can't get fresh in AZ but Fry's/Kroger carries Frozen Shell on from the Gulf. I buy the colossal size. I never buy farmed or from Thailand. Occasionally I'll get the Costco shrimp because the are wild caught and from Mexico.

I can believe that shrimp gets frozen on the boat, but im having a hard time believing that frozen raw devained easy peel has only been frozen once.

Back