THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

-Chris-

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chris
I think I want to add a meat slicer to the home kitchen, but I have no idea where to start. I would like to spend less than $500 if possible. My immediate need is to slice bacon, but I could see myself getting into roasting deli meat for sandwiches or making jerky.

What do I look for in a slicer? do they all come with sharpening attachments? What are the common wear points? Do I need a 12" model or would a Berkel 823 which is a 9" model be sufficient? I assume I should stick with a Hobart, Berkel or other classic brand.

Thanks,
Chris

If you want to do bacon get one with the longest carriage. With mine I have to trim the cured belly to fit.

You are limited by the size of the cutting blade. The carriage is also directly proportional to your blade size.

But keep in mind the larger the blade, the larger the footprint of the unit. I have mine on a utility cart that I can wheel around where I need it.

I chose the 12" simply because you have the capability to cut larger items. I soon found myself cutting more than I had ever imagined I would.

It works out great for bacon, hams, roasts, and so much more.

But you have to choose what is best for you.

Check Craig's list for some real bargains. I found mine on Craig's list when our local line of convenience stores went to pre-packaged meat rather than slicing their own.

Agree with trying to find at least a 12" Hobart or Berkel. With my 1612 I can slice bellies up to 14" wide. The Berkel and Hobart still have parts available from online sellers. Mine was made in the mid 70's and is still going strong. And it still had the sharpening attachment that came with it. You'll find all kinds of uses. I bake my own bread and it's easy to slice up the loaf with the Hobart. It will zip through a brisket easily

Slicers are great, but they are a pain. Like IamMadMan said, think about the footprint. If you don't have a place to store it, where it will be easily accessible, you won't use it. Before you buy, I would also consider how much meat, you will be cutting, at a time. For me, I would rather cut by hand, than to clean the slicer, for 5lbs or less. The brands you mentioned are fine, and there are others too, but if you can, I would go Hobart. They have service centers all across the country, and if you do have problems, they can fix it. I have a Hobart mixer, that had a gear strip, and they were able to completely refurbish it, for way less than I could buy the mixer used.

Agree with trying to find at least a 12" Hobart or Berkel. With my 1612 I can slice bellies up to 14" wide. ]

Ok so you guys have convinced me to hunt for a Hobart.

I bet that 1612 model number indicates a 12" blade and 16" slice length, am I right?

I have plenty of space to store it, but not where I would use it in the kitchen. A few of my local friends make bacon, so it could get some good use.

How hard is it to clean the machine? What do you clean it with?

Is $475 for a 1612 a good price depending on condition or should I be able to find one for less?

Thanks,
Chris

It is not really hard to clean, just time consuming. You have to disassemble, and clean, then reassemble. I wash everything but the base with soap and water, and then wipe down the base with clorox wipes, or some type of all purpose cleaner.

That is a god price on a Hobart plus they are the absolute best quality. You'll pay a little more up front but won't have problems later on.

Back