THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
A local grocery store is having a beef sale and has bottom round on sale for $2.88 per pound. No way I was gonna let that sale go by without taking advantage of it. So, I figured this was a good time to try some Italian beef.

I followed Ray's recipe found here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=785965&postcount=10 .

Here is the roast cooked to about 125F internal resting. Once it cools a bit I will wrap it up and put it in the fridge until tomorrow morning when I will slice it paper thin.

picture.php

More pron to come.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
OK, beef sliced and ready to go back into the broth later today for the football game.

picture.php

I usually like to put a spoon full or two of giardiniera in the gravy - though I'm usually using store bought Italian beef and gairdiniera. giardiniera is often served on top or on the side too. Giardiniera gets it spice from jalapenos.

Ah, ok, thanks. I have some jalapenos standing by. I will post some pics of the finished sammies tomorrow but there are no hot peppers today. I'll add some and post some pics.

The sammies were pretty freakin' good.

Wasn't able to get pics yesterday but this was my lunch today. The Italian beef served with some peppers on a roll is pretty good. But, all the peppers and rolls were eaten yeasterday. All I had today were some hot dog buns. But, it worked pretty good for lunch. I also took some liberties with the traditional recipe today and added some provalone cheese, mayo, and my home made steak sandwich seasoning that contains paprika, salt, black pepper, white pepper, red pepper, garlic, and a little lemon powder. That seasoning is killer on beef sandwiches. That took it up a notch and I have to say I liked today's lunch better than the traditional style IB sandwich I ate yesterday. Here is a pic of lunch.

picture.php

No giardiniera today or yesterday. I didn't like the looks of any of it that I could find in local stores.

Mayo??? :doh: That is just wrong.

I'm glad you liked it. Come to Chicago sometime and we'll get you a good beef. We'll make sure you order it wet/dipped (very important step to a true experience) with some hot giardiniera. :-D

Also, I note that Italian Beef varies significantly, even in Chicago. A lot of people usually think of Portillos for beef. I find their's good, but a little boring in flavor. In Greektown by my office, the beef served there sucks big time, cut thick and I'm guessing just salt and pepper flavor. That recipe might just be on the boring side... don't know. I'm guessing RonL can supply a tasty recipe.

Mayo!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

As long as you enjoyed it, I guess it's OK. Just don't put ketchup on your hot dog! (willkat mod)

Also, I note that Italian Beef varies significantly, even in Chicago. A lot of people usually think of Portillos for beef. I find their's good, but a little boring in flavor. In Greektown by my office, the beef served there sucks big time, cut thick and I'm guessing just salt and pepper flavor. That recipe might just be on the boring side... don't know. I'm guessing RonL can supply a tasty recipe.

Yeah, Portillo's is good, but not great, but out here in the western wastelands it's the best that we can get :-D

I think Dr. BBQ's Italian Beef recipe is one of the best I've tried. There are several recipes on this site...

http://www.italianbeef.com/

but I haven't tried them.

Mayo??? :doh: That is just wrong.

I'm glad you liked it. Come to Chicago sometime and we'll get you a good beef. We'll make sure you order it wet/dipped (very important step to a true experience) with some hot giardiniera. :-D

Lol, I knew I'd hear about the mayo.

I assure you, the first thing I will do if I am able to make a trip to Chicago is track down some authentic IB.

Mayo!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

As long as you enjoyed it, I guess it's OK. Just don't put ketchup on your hot dog! (willkat mod)

No problem with the ketchup on hot dogs. I won't be going there. :laugh:

The beef cooked up nicely and was much more tender and rich flavored than I expected it to be. It was so good, I went back to the grocery store and bought a couple more round roasts and put them in the freezer.

I like Meatheads recipe. Personally I think its closer to Chicago style than Dr BBQ's. However I do tweak both when I make them.:becky: Got two roast defrosting in the fridge to make tomorrow night. Both of which will get served on Tdayeve!

I have to say I liked today's lunch better than the traditional style IB sandwich I ate yesterday. Here is a pic of lunch.

Honestly it's a Chicago thing and not everybody loves it if they didn't grow up on it. But I see that you cooked it less than the recipe calls for and that would change it. Italian Beef is cooked through more like a pot roast than a roast beef sandwich.

I like Meatheads recipe. Personally I think its closer to Chicago style than Dr BBQ's.

I like Meathead but IMO his recipe will be more like a French Dip than an authentic Chicago Style Italian Beef. I'm sure it's good but it's not the real thing.

Hot or sweet peppers are ALWAYS optional. Cheese and mayo are disgusting.

I like Meatheads recipe. Personally I think its closer to Chicago style than Dr BBQ's. However I do tweak both when I make them.:becky: Got two roast defrosting in the fridge to make tomorrow night. Both of which will get served on Tdayeve!

Once I tried Ray's recipe I stopped trying others. I'll have to give Meathead's a shot one time just to compare. Maybe this weekend :) The local Fresh Market store has dry aged Hereford rib roasts on sale today (and next Tuesday) so I'm going to pick up a couple of rib roasts for the freezer, maybe I'll pick up a round roast for Italian beef while I'm there :)

Honestly it's a Chicago thing and not everybody loves it if they didn't grow up on it. But I see that you cooked it less than the recipe calls for and that would change it. Italian Beef is cooked through more like a pot roast than a roast beef sandwich.

Interesting. I cooked the roast untilthe very center was 130. The temp went up to as much as 155 as I probed closer to the edges. I wanted to be sure I didn't dry out the meat.

Back