Chimney Steak Clusterfark! Sous Vide Style!

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Head KnucklHed
I haven't entered a TD in a while... but I liked the sound of this one and it just so happened that I was doing steak for dinner anyways!

Here's the Official TD Entry Thread for this category.

Usually I use the reverse sear method for thicker steaks, but recently I've started playing around with doing them sous vide style, albeit a poor man's sous vide, but you know, what ever...

Here we go - 1lb bone-in rib steak all bagged up and ready for the hot tub! Cracked black, pink salt and a little garlic pow.

I've found that if I fill a large pot with 130* water, keep it on low and drop in the goodies it usually settles right into about 120* and slowly raises to around 125* over the next couple of hours - just starting out here... Oh, and yellow thermapens are the best for this sorta thing. :wink:

Had to dig around quite a bit to find my chimney starter, and when I found it, there was a little bit of adjustment to be done...

Once it was fired up with my favorite lump I tossed a pound of crab legs on for a couple min.

And then the rib steak... After 2 1/2 hours in the water, it got up to 124.6*, so all it needed was a quick sear to finish it off

The plate could have been a bit bigger! :heh:

The Throwdown "Special Rules" require a picture with the steak placed on metal pokie thingies, I can't decide which to go with, maybe ya'll can help me out deciding on that

OR

Gotta say, it was pretty stinkin' tender!!

I must have been hungry!! :becky:

Thanks for lookin'!! :thumb:

That is making me drool all over!

Use the first pic on the fork, the second one looks like a baby bite :laugh:

Back