THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still not getting bottled chili powder/seasonings for chili. They're all powdered/sucky substitutes for real peppers.

Doesn't anyone make chili the right way anymore? Requires zero chili powder.

I couldn't agree more on the first half of what you wrote. I have not found a single chili mix that came even remotely close to freshly ground powder, including freshly toasted spices. The little extra effort to do this is a huge payoff for me, not to mention significantly more economical than buying a store bought mix.

To your question, though, what is the RIGHT way to make chili, exactly? The chili I make is a very traditional Texas style chili, that uses ground powder from dried, not fresh chilies. How is that not chili? I would also point out that Texas chili's close Mexican cousin, Chili Colorado, is also made from dried chilies that have been rehydrated.

My point is that the very definition of "Chili" is so broad that it encompasses a wide variety of regional concoctions that I personally would not define as chili in the traditional sense, nor would you. While we might agree that some of these concoctions to us are not unlike boiling ribs, vs slow smoking them, to others, they represent the pinnacle of "chili", and nothing will probably ever change that.

My preference these days is to offer alternatives to entrenched approaches that are an invitation to try and experience something different. Education and encouragement can be helpful to those who may not be aware of those alternatives.

<snip>
My point is that the very definition of "Chili" is so broad that it encompasses a wide variety of regional concoctions that I personally would not define as chili in the traditional sense, nor would you. While we might agree that some of these concoctions to us are not unlike boiling ribs, vs slow smoking them, to others, they represent the pinnacle of "chili", and nothing will probably ever change that.

My preference these days is to offer alternatives to entrenched approaches that are an invitation to try and experience something different. Education and encouragement can be helpful to those who may not be aware of those alternatives.

As long as we are getting all zen like, is mole Mexican chili?

As long as we are getting all zen like, is mole Mexican chili?

Technically, I don't think so. Mole is a chile-based sauce that is applied to a variety of foods. I mentioned chile colorado as the Mexican equivalent of "chili", and I would add that chile verde would also fall into the category of Mexican "chili". Both also fall into the category of stews.

I'm a simple guy who loves chili. I've tasted chilis from all over at various chili cookoffs, and yet when I make a pot for myself this is my go to. Sue me, it's what I like......

13c1a18e-cb74-45b9-ba61-382abf7c62b6.df5d4a253214cb8a4106abe49482f894.jpeg

3lbs hamburger
1 sweet onion-diced
Brooks Chili Hot beans (sometimes, sometimes I skip the beans)
2 packs McCormick Chili Hot seasoning
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 can Red Gold fresh tomato juice

I'm a simple guy who loves chili. I've tasted chilis from all over at various chili cookoffs, and yet when I make a pot for myself this is my go to. Sue me, it's what I like......

3lbs hamburger
1 sweet onion-diced

I'm in awe of all things chili. It's an emotional attachment to most folks based on ancestors.
While I prefer to make mine mild and heat up in the bowl, I've also been around enough Hot often means mild to medium. Going to try. Thanks

I'm in awe of all things chili. It's an emotional attachment to most folks based on ancestors.

That's what I've really noticed in my experience. And most food in general, honestly.

I think if you went up to 100 people and asked them what a bowl of chili is, you'd get nearly as many responses. Some seem to have 'required' condiments, specific flavor points, etc. Probably the same was as having people describe pizza.

It almost seems better to rebrand a new version to get people to try it. I had a Vegan Pumpkin Chili on my menu for Halloween. I talked to a few people that were resistant to try it, but ended up absolutely loving it. They were thinking about their specific memory of a 'bowl of chili' and I bet if I called it 'pumpkin and bean stew' they would have been eager to try.

I'm firmly in the 'lets try each version and find the best one' camp, so I don't mind a new seasoning or prep style each time, as long as it's not a bowl of chili that came straight out of a can.

I couldn't agree more on the first half of what you wrote. I have not found a single chili mix that came even remotely close to freshly ground powder, including freshly toasted spices. The little extra effort to do this is a huge payoff for me, not to mention significantly more economical than buying a store bought mix.

To your question, though, what is the RIGHT way to make chili, exactly? The chili I make is a very traditional Texas style chili, that uses ground powder from dried, not fresh chilies. How is that not chili? I would also point out that Texas chili's close Mexican cousin, Chili Colorado, is also made from dried chilies that have been rehydrated.

True, the word chili is broad.

Made quick red sauce when I was young using canned tomatoes, granulated garlic and onion, along with dried oregano & basil, red chile flake, and a little sugar. Thought it was pretty good until meeting my future wife and her Italian family. They owned a few restaurants and taught me how to properly make red sauce. Fresh garlic and onions made a world of difference. Never cut the corner using granulated again. Discovered sugar was unnecessary because the sweated onions gave enough sugar to offset the slight bitterness of the tomatoes.

Same thing happened with chili. Use to make it using granulated/powdered seasonings (thought chili powder was a must). Once I caught on to the recipe above (base of which is from a recipe in Nourishing Traditions), never went back. The prep time is longer, but it's worth it.

3lbs hamburger
1 sweet onion-diced

This is basically my wife's chili. Although we don't buy the packet, she does use McCormick chili powder, since I insist that's what we buy (it's consistent....the mrs. will buy the crap from the $ store cause she don't care). She skips the sugar. She rolls about a can of beans per lb of meat....

I on the other hand can't leave well enough alone :crazy: I gotta try all the new latest and greatest concoctions. Last year I won our Football group's chili cook off that was a combination of 1x Malcom Reed's recipe and 1x Oakridge Texas Red. And yes, I am a Yankee and eat beans in my chili, and like a little sweet to balance it. I like a ratio of about 2lbs meat to 1 can beans.........

We lived in North Texas for a bit, and I liked Fiesta seasoning. Don't see it in Central MO. I got their Taco Seaoning once and I thought it was a nice change up from the usual taco seaoning but the flavor was different from all the others. I will have to try your recipe over yonder and see how it works.

Back