THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Chili "season" and the debate on chili "seasoning" is upon us. From make your own to some pretty good ones on the shelf. Bolner's Fiesta Brand extra Fancy- Light.This is a low cost favorite along with Williams and French's Chili O. This Fiesta Light has no salt no msg, non gmo, non irradiated, gluten free and with all these non's- tastes good. Chili Pepper, garlic & spices.

Last edited:
Just looked, inflation has gotten to this one. $4+ for 4oz. Still good though. If I remember correctly 4ever3 can vouch on this too. Been a while

I like the Sucklebusters and the Williams but they are getting pricey. The 18oz Williams is now $20. I remember not so long ago getting a twin pack for around that price. I really like the no-salt in Williams. I like to control that myself. This time I'm trying the McCormick Chili Seasoning. 22oz big bottle for $12 seemed like a bargain.

I use Big Ron's chili mix. It's one of the best I've tasted and he has the recipe on the bag. He's out of Houston and I believe you can order sample sizes but not sure.

Still not getting bottled chili powder/seasonings for chili. They're all powdered/sucky substitutes for real peppers.

Doesn't anyone make chili the right way anymore? Requires zero chili powder.

Still not getting bottled chili powder/seasonings for chili. They're all powdered/sucky substitutes for real peppers.

Doesn't anyone make chili the right way anymore? Requires zero chili powder.

We don't use Chili Powder, but might use some powdered/granulated spices substituted for fresh items we don't have. With that said, I have used the Fiesta Chili Powder Adams mentioned and concur.

I stopped buying chili powder when i came across this.
7a7a8dec-c7ec-4c99-a4f1-d869f8e6439a_1.e007e72a39ab04e0824ab35d20e2c5b6.jpeg

Stocked up, and freeze. Its concentrated so a little goes a long way. I just use my chamber vacuum sealer to freeze what i don't use.

Last edited:
For years now we have used French's Chili O. Still the best IMHO.

That's what I grew up with. Dad & Grand Dad both used French's Chili O. Dad would add a pinch of oregano and cumin. Not sure if Granddad did or not.

We've used Williams or Bolner's for as long as I remember. I'd say that for just about any spice/rub Bolner's would win the quality per $ contest - to wit: fajita seasoning or Uncle Chris' steak rub.

For yucks, I'm going to see if I can find some French's Chili O. Thanks for the tip.

We don't use Chili Powder, but might use some powdered/granulated spices substituted for fresh items we don't have. With that said, I have used the Fiesta Chili Powder Adams mentioned and concur.
Posted this recipe a few times before. Red chili flake, dried basil and oregano, and cumin (sometimes) come out of a jar. Could probably skip the chili flake depending on the fresh peppers available. Fresh toasted & ground cumin seeds are better than anything pre-ground in a jar.

Fortunate to have a local grocer that always has a variety of fresh peppers. They are what make this chili so good IMO.

_____

Basic recipe I've been using for years. Never comes out precisely the same because it's based on fresh peppers and they vary. Fresh peppers are best. I like a variety of them in chili...lends a balance. Taste test each variety for flavor and heat just to see what you're dealing with. They're all different. Not just by type of pepper, but where/when they were grown. For instance: some fresh jalapenos can be pretty hot, while others have very mild heat.

Ingredients:
2# ground chuck
2# ground pork
2 tbl olive oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
2 Anaheim peppers (seed & fine chop all peppers)
6 jalapeno peppers
2 Serrano peppers
2 red finger peppers
2-3 large white onions (medium-fine chop)
8 large cloves garlic (minced)
½ tsp red chili flakes
2 tbl dried oregano
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl gray sea salt
2 cans red kidney beans (19 oz, rinsed)
2 cans black beans (19 oz, rinsed)

Very simple cook:
Brown meat in olive oil, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Usually simmer an hour before adding the beans.

Modify the recipe depending on what peppers are at the store...sometimes throw a habanero in. Usually double or triple the recipe. The wide range of peppers adds color, as well as different heats and flavors. Don't sauté them because that causes them to lose both color and a bit of crunch. Same with the onions and garlic. This chili has character.

Usually toast whole cumin seeds and grind them up with a mortar & pestle. Toasting definitely releases more fragrance and flavor.

Prefer soaking dried beans overnight and cooking them separately but canned work fine to speed things up.

You can substitute ale or stout for the wine but I don't recommend that unless the entire batch will be consumed within 2 days. There's something about beer that makes chili get skanky pretty quick.

Back