THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nate,

I've probably cooked in 200 individual contests, most having a sanctioned chili (Texas Red; CASI) and an open (most anything goes) categories. Never won Terlingua as I've never traveled there to do it, but my wife and I have both qualified to go 8 or 10 times each...

Notice the smoky chili refered to earlier; it's beef. That generally works well, but be careful not too much smoke. As far as the BBQ sauce goes, from what I've seen works and doesn't, DONT GO THERE. It doesn't take more than a dab or two to throw too much sweet into it. If there's a nice hint of smokiness, most like it. I use chipotle in mine to get that. Others use the smoked beef... Either way, it's all good.

And, by the way, my CASI recipe is VERY similar to Tom Dozier's recipe. You can find all the past CASI winners recipes (although many dont post their EXACT recipe) online... Mild Bills loves me...

I've never put my chili recipe on paper because I really don't have a set recipe. Some basics are always rendered bacon and onion to start off with and to brown the meat. I'm also a fan of smoked brisket point or flat in chili, but I like point better. I will use chile powder, but I'm a bigger fan of chile puree or concentrate as the greater base and then powdered for a second line of flavor, heat and color. Here's a thread about my chili, hope you can get a little info out of it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70988&highlight=Texas+red
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=Puree

Personally, smoked meat is great, but I'd skip smoking all the veggies and stuff. Sometimes it can be too much and in a chili, you want the liquid to shine through first and then the meat and other ingredients.
Also, try your chili without tomato first. I'm not a big fan of tomato or sauce in chili either. You may find that you like it without any kind of tomato. You can add the tomato base after if you feel it needs it. Lastly, if you can, use some homemade chicken, pork, or beef stock instead of water. This will add another layer of flavor that water alone can't do.

Bob

I'd like to know more about how to make the chili puree, Bob, if you don't mind sharing.

The process is in the second link above. Not much to it, and you can use a strainer if you don't have a food mill. I don't add too much to the puree other than maybe a little garlic, onion powder and a little salt and pepper. Most times, I add nothing and just store and freeze it that way. This way, I can adjust seasoning when I do use it. Some like to add cumin, oregano but those can be a bit strong so I don't add them if I'm going to freeze it. I'll add those when I defrost and use it.

Bob

Some smoked meat in chili is awesome!!! Personally I don't care for bbq sauce in chili... kinda like ketchup on hot dogs... it don't belong... IMHO

Back