CHILI. A true American cuisine

Try this one. Toss the dried onion and garlic and use fresh. Use regular yellow onions and toss in a can Muir Glen roasted diced tomatoes.

Ive tried that one. Pretty good. Real hot if you add the whole spicy pack.

Ok. Here it is. I told you i would do it

Cheesy sirracha chili mac.

Being a native of San Antonio, chili has a rich and deep history in our city. The Chili Queens on the plazas served the spicy dish for close to a 100 years. It was a gathering point for the citizen to have a good meal and to socialize. Chili was a social event. Chili Con Carne is really just a spicy stew nothing more. Cooking flour dredged chunks of meat in fat add water and spices and it all comes together. top with a little fresh onion, cilantro, and maybe a few sprinkles of queso fresco and you have a rich flavorful meal that warms the soul. Serve with corn bread or warm home made corn tortillas.

Here is a traditional recipe from the ICS website. It is very similar to mine other than I will use or add a few different chilies etc. By the way grinding your own chilies makes a huge difference as compared to chili powders. I grind mine in a spice/coffee grinder. Meat I prefer to use is chuck roast cubed about 1/2" and pork shoulder cubed the same. I have used many different wild game as well. Venison, goose, dove, I have even eaten chili made with goat. All does very well. IMHO it is just not the same with ground meat. If you get a chance try this recipe. I think you will become a fan of traditional chili.

Chili has morphed to different things all over the country and some of it is very good, but when you taste the real stuff you realize its not chili.

Original San Antonio Chili
2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.

I grew up with the understanding that Chili meant:

- Beef
- No Beans
- Cumin
- Chili Powder
- Garlic
- Onion
- Bell Pepper
- Tomatoes
- Salt
End of Story.

That's pretty close to what I did yesterday.....

beef
hot sausage
onion
bell pepper
celery
tomatoes
garlic powder
salt
pepper
chili powder
cumin
oregeno
jalapeno (one diced)
hatch green chilies (six chopped)
v8 juice
black coffee

Last edited:
Being a native of San Antonio, chili has a rich and deep history in our city. The Chili Queens on the plazas served the spicy dish for close to a 100 years. It was a gathering point for the citizen to have a good meal and to socialize. Chili was a social event. Chili Con Carne is really just a spicy stew nothing more. Cooking flour dredged chunks of meat in fat add water and spices and it all comes together. top with a little fresh onion, cilantro, and maybe a few sprinkles of queso fresco and you have a rich flavorful meal that warms the soul. Serve with corn bread or warm home made corn tortillas.

Here is a traditional recipe from the ICS website. It is very similar to mine other than I will use or add a few different chilies etc. By the way grinding your own chilies makes a huge difference as compared to chili powders. I grind mine in a spice/coffee grinder. Meat I prefer to use is chuck roast cubed about 1/2" and pork shoulder cubed the same. I have used many different wild game as well. Venison, goose, dove, I have even eaten chili made with goat. All does very well. IMHO it is just not the same with ground meat. If you get a chance try this recipe. I think you will become a fan of traditional chili.

Chili has morphed to different things all over the country and some of it is very good, but when you taste the real stuff you realize its not chili.

Original San Antonio Chili
2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup suet
¼ cup pork fat
3 medium-sized onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.

A friend of mine that lives in New Mexico sent me a similar recipe and is sending me some Mexican oregano so I can make the dish.

Some great recipes for traditional chili con carne. I do differentiate between chili and chili con carne. There is room for both for me.

This thread is about celebrating the regional differences in chili. Just like bbq, chili is a dish that changes as you go from one part of the country to the next.

Lots to try here.

Here is what my wife made yesterday. It was yummy then and should be even better today. That's pulled pork in there.
IMAG0174_zpsstebtygw.jpg

One of the best non bean chili's I've ever had was at a coney place here in town... and I really liked the small grind of the hamburger/chuck. Since I don't grind my own I wish I could find the fine ground stuff.

On the other side of the coin in some chili's I like the big stuff.

Never tried from real chiles....always used chili powder....is it worth the extra step?

Here is my base recipe (I vary from here by adding in veggies bout to go bad in fridge)

Saute an onion and several cloves garlic
Add 1lb ground and 1lb cubed meat to brown
Add 4-6tbs chili powder, bit of cayenne some salt and pepper
Add 28 oz crushed tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
Add 12 oz dark beer ( I like Guinness)
Add 3 cans of whatever variety beans (I almost always include kidney and black)
Cook down for 1-2 hours till at desired thickness (I go near two hours )

Usually I serve with fresh cut onion, jalapeño, grated cheese, and sour cream.

Never tried from real chiles....always used chili powder....is it worth the extra step?

Here is my base recipe (I vary from here by adding in veggies bout to go bad in fridge)

Saute an onion and several cloves garlic
Add 1lb ground and 1lb cubed meat to brown
Add 4-6tbs chili powder, bit of cayenne some salt and pepper
Add 28 oz crushed tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
Add 12 oz dark beer ( I like Guinness)
Add 3 cans of whatever variety beans (I almost always include kidney and black)
Cook down for 1-2 hours till at desired thickness (I go near two hours )

Usually I serve with fresh cut onion, jalapeño, grated cheese, and sour cream.

I think grinding your own chilies makes a huge difference. Kind of like grinding your own black pepper. Just so more depth to the spices. I also toast and grind my own cumin. Nothing better than fresh.

Great thread! Just in time for the chili shoot out at the local club. It's great because you can experience so many different types of chili. Although, every year I am still surprised by what some people try to pass off as chili...

I grew up where chili HAD to have kidney beans. My mom and I used to make a pot on a cold day and eat the whole thing throughout that day..:)

in boy scouts it had to be hotter than a woman on the beach.....Oh the stories i could tell about that one.

Since that time, I have made chili so many ways. I love chili in all forms, but I have to say one of my favorites is to use smoked brisket and chipotles.

Oh, and corn bread in now a must!

I add chile powder to mine, but always add a big bowl of fresh chiles. Just make sure you don't get all hot varieties. I try to use 5-6 different types of peppers depending on what I can find.

171288_189490894408637_100000431823249_640218_866451_o.jpg

I make it the way my mom does; ground beef, a can of whole tomatos, a can of kidney beans, chili beans, can of Rotel, and various spices. Add water to bring to desired amount then let it simmer the better part of an afternoon.

Chedder cheese, sour cream, fritos, and fresh sliced jalapeños are all options in my bowl. The Rotel adds a healthy dose of spice but I like mine with the extra kick of the jalapeños.

Yeah, I used to make chili from one of those packets, or even mix dried and ground commercial spices, but when I tried that version above using the whole dried peppers. wow. Much more depth of flavor. The recipe has you roast the dried peppers some, reconstitute them in some water, and then puree them. That stuff by itself smells wonderful.

Back