THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I lke the traditional Wing Sauce with either Frank's or Trappey's. But a couple friends from Buffalo would make their sauce by reducing the amount of butter and substituting BBQ sauce. This has been a hit with my friends for years.

I like to take any store bought and add to it as needed, it changes every time, depends on how many wings I am doing.

As a side question I love wings. How do you all buy them? Do you buy frozen or fresh. Do you buy in bulk? All I can find locally seem expensive for what you get.

I like to buy fresh the day I'm going to make them. When I buy them this way the only problem is that I have to chop them up myself. Not a big deal, though. I honestly can't remember exactly what I pay for them, though. I certainly don't buy in bulk, though. Only enough for the meal and maybe a little leftovers. I buy from Publix since the quality of their meat is superior to any other grocery store in my area (Kroger, WalMart).

I also like to make my own sauce with Frank's and butter.

This is how I do 'em: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25671

As a side question I love wings. How do you all buy them? Do you buy frozen or fresh. Do you buy in bulk? All I can find locally seem expensive for what you get.

Pat, Costco has them for like 1.49/lb. frz or defrosted, I for one cannot taste a difference between frz. and fresh chicken... but then again after my surgery I can't tast a bunch of stuff!:eek:

Most of the wings I do I marinate them in a mixture of my own "Jimmies Jerk Rub" and Canola oil with a hit of lime juice. I like them grilled and dry.
If I am doing the traditional wing then I use the 'Louisiana Hot Sauce' brand wing sauce. It's already made and it's cheap.

i have been ok with buying the big pak of them at Sams..not frozen..
i split them and toss the tips out ..grill em up on th ekettle with my favorite chicken rub..then toss them salad style in a mix of melted butter and whatever hot sauce I have a taste for that day. i cant stand franks..usually go with tabasco brand chipotle or habanero.
If i want them really tender Ill throw them in a tin pan with foil on top after tossing in the butter/hot sauce mixture and throw the pan back on the for about half an hr.

I have made my own wing sauces for years. I have several different ones but it is hard to beat the traditional Frank's and butter. The last year or so I have become a fan of dry rub wings though.

Before frying in the dutch oven I coat my wings in a light dusting of chili poweder, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of cayenne.

For this sauce it's pretty much 2:1 ratio of Frank's to butter, I let it slow simmer in a small sauce pan for a bit then either throw the wings into the sauce or pour it on top.

Franks(extra hot if it is available), butter, cayenne, chili powder and granulated garlic....plus some sweet baby rays. This is the ultimate.

Franks(extra hot if it is available), butter, cayenne, chili powder and granulated garlic....plus some sweet baby rays. This is the ultimate.

Wow. I'm guessing you like this because your taste buds have been mostly burnt off by now :-D

I tried substituting Frank's Extra Hot for Franks's original once and I couldn't handle it. I can't imagine adding cayenne on top of that!

A really good flavored milder wing for get togethers and such with a bunch of pansies in the group

Franks + Butter + chopped fresh garlic + Lawrys Seasoning Salt

Toss raw wings in some of this mixture, reserving some for those who prefer a little more heat after cooking. Grill or smoke the wings, very very good.

I like Sriracha sauce and butter and sometimes I add some fresh chopped garlic

Always fresh, never frozen. We're pretty lucky here in WNY. The wings are BIG, and you can always find em in any meat display. There's a free range chicken farm that I use for competition entries and feedin the masses. They, uhh, harvest on Tuedays. You have to have your orders in before Tuesday. Doesn't get a fresher than that. The quality is unbelievable, and they leave the tips on. I trim em off to make chicken stock, when preppin the good parts for the smoker. All this for $0.99/#.

Thanks for the recipe for "franks", never heard of it until I got here, then just a little while ago, Walmart here started carrying it.

Back