Chicken & Rib Practice for Nephews 1st Comp (Taking them further down the rabbit hole)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So our nephews who always liked that we did bbq are progressing into their own. From helping me season stuff and chuck meat on the smokers to having gotten them their own WSM last year for their bday........I'm slowly taking myself out of the picture so I can focus on drinking and being lazy while they do everything :clap2:.

Now the next logical step this early into their lives is to enter them into their 1st backyard competition. Found an FBA event near them in FL next month and this figured like a great way to keep them at it.

I've never done an FBA and backyard rolls the full 4 meats. They've cooked them all before themselves but never all at once in a timed manner. The 1hr turn in windows vs the normal 30 for kcbs should make the scramble at the end easier. I can't even image having an hr between meats :crazy:

We'll cook on their WSM and I'll bring one drum since 4 meats on one smoker can be cumbersome. They will trim and cook everything. I will just drink and tell them what to do.

Today I'm making them videos for chicken and ribs to show them how to do it so they can practice as needed. There are a few good videos on pork and brisket online that mirror what we do and I just send them those links.

Today I'm simply seeing how ribs and chicken will cook on one smoker together as I run 3 drums and ribs/chicken are not on the same one. But multiple racks is an easy option.

Just doing one rack of ribs. Lowered the smoker rack they are on so the parallel hanging bars can go on top for the chicken which still gives me easy "tweaking" access to the ribs as needed.
fXcAlFal.jpg

sIIJ1cll.jpg

9gLeOmLl.jpg

Chicken about to go on and have started practicing the beer consumption :becky:. More to come
hQB1Zaql.jpg

NqYAuNzl.jpg

WEWMoVFl.jpg

Awesome all the way around! Looks like the cutest judge ever...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What was the judge's score? :-D

And I'll take a couple of those drumsticks! Look like candy :yum:

Definitely a thumbs up from me and the little human...:thumb:

Is that a blueberry pie milkshake?

Awesome looking food and pics. The little guy certainly seems to be taking more than one bite, so it must have been good.

Hunsaker has a "hybrid" rack that fits a drum. I can hang 4 racks of ribs and have 2 small chicken pans going at the same time. It works pretty well. It might free up some room for you.

Um...you wanna share those videos and links with me too? I’m getting ready to do my first comp and I need an Uncle JasonTQ too!

Come hang with me for the comp and I’ll even supply the bourbon!

Love to see the tiny human gnawing on the bones!

Back