THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
I stopped at my local meat market last Saturday to pick up some Rib Eye's to cook for Mothers day and they had chicken quarters on sale for .79 a lb so i bought a ten lb bag. Today I decided it was time to try them out so I picked out six quarters to smoke on the Trail Embers Smoker. I trimmed them and coated them with Plowboy's Yardbird this morning and then put them in the fridge in a ziploc bag to get happy. I fired up the smoker with some KBB, apple wood chunks and Cowboy Lump. Smoked them for about 1 1/2 hrs @ 350 deg bone side down. When they hit 170 deg I coated them with some DB Yummers sweet & smokey BBQ sauce on both sides and let them glaze for about 20 min. I also put some nice large potatoes on with them. When the wife bit into one of the quarters she said oh my gosh this is really really good. I have to admit I think it was some of the best chicken I have ever cooked. It was very moist and tasty. I know I will be cooking them this way again.
A couple of pictures for you to view.
IMG_20190514_180019[1].jpg

IMG_20190514_180028[1].jpg

IMG_20190514_180047[1].jpg

I cooked them under my new covered patio I started on last summer. I hope to get the deck done yet this summer. I will soon have a dedicated outdoor cooking area. The deck will be 16' by 36' when finished and it all will be under roof. Plenty of room to cook and relax.

Damn good looking chicken. And I hear ya about working on a covered cook area at home. I’m doin the same.....well, your doin more about it than me. I mostly just talk about it but someday!

Thanks guys, That was kind of a test using the Trail Embers to cook chicken. Next I plan on hanging a couple of Spatchock chickens.

Back