THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Anyone have a good brine for chicken they would likke to share? Plan on smoking a couple halves of chicken this weekend. I usually use a pretty basic brine..

1 Gallon H20
.75 Cup Kosher Salt
2/3 Cup Sugar
.75 Cup Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon tarragon, thyme and black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 Lemon (squeeze in juice and toss the lemon haves in)

Add half the water to a non reactive pot bring to a boil – mix the ingredients and simmer for 10+ minutes. Pour the other half gallon in and let come to room temp.

Poultry Brine

1 gal water
1.5 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 Tbl brown sugar
1 tbl pickle spice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp tarragon

Heat the water bring to a low simmer add salt & sugar once dissolved remove from heat add the spices once it has cooled ad the vinegar brine 1 hr LB

Another possible alternative is the Cornell chicken recipe. It is widely acclaimed and highly esteemed, especially those of us who Q. I still need to get clear on what links I can or cannot post, but if you Google it, you'll find it.

I have used this recipe from Micheal Ruhlman's charcuterie book and could not believe how flavorful and moist it turned out. Not sure about the protocol for listing a published recipe so i guess I will give the basics. The est can be modified to your personal taste.
1 gallon h2o
1 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
Herbs, veggies, desired citrus
boil, cool, soak 12 hrs.

Dry and let set uncovered in fridge for a few hrs. Pellicle that forms will take smoke better. I usually cook @ around 300 to 375 depending on how smoky I want it.

Mods. Please delete if this was not referenced properly. I'm a newbie here.

Patio Daddio's brine.

+1.

I usually do a simple brine and just add some citrus and brown sugar ilo white sugar, which is PRETTY MUCH Patio Daddio's brine.

My go to chicken brine is:
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1/2 C sugar
1 palm full of whole peppercorns

Sometimes I substitute brown sugar for the white sugar.
Sometimes I cut and squeeze a couple of lemons or a couple of oranges or one of each.
Sometimes I'll add a few nice shakes of rub.
Sometimes I'll throw in a few crushed cloves of garlic.

Patio Daddio's brine is famous around here and for good reason. I am a Pre-Salt, brine kinda guy, because of the ease and many other reasons. Brineing poultry is a must with me.

Back