THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great color and uniformity...solid 8 possibly a 9 from here...I rate the meat...not the garnish. :becky:

Thanks all, I was thinking 8 or 9 and wanted to be sure I wasnt missing something. As a whole it looks like the scores were consistently low at NKC this weekend so I chalked it up to that, but I had a pic so I thought I would share and ask. The judges scored it
Strange enough the judge who gave it a 9 in appearance gave it a 4 in taste:crazy::laugh:

Had a great time either way :thumb:I love this game!

Looks awesome Joe. I can't remember what you said and you haven't posted your scores, so I am just assuming this is on topic, but I talked to a lot of people after awards who were just shaking their heads, one guy was venting so much and frustrated he was almost in tears. A few people I talked to have cooked the contest several years and say NKC is just that way. Hell, they were giving away 4's and 5's at the Kids Q :tsk:.

chicken looks nice,our ribs hit your chicken table.....6 on apperence???just wondering how many cbj s realy there........all in all we had a great time

Oops, you posted before I could. Looks like I was on topic. Got my first of a couple of 6's on appearance this weekend as well.

I love this sport too!:thumb::wacko:

Last edited:
Joe the chicken is 9's all the way. Looks crazy good I would love to eat it right now. I think someone dropped our pork box because we got a couple of 6's and 7's in presentation. Wish I had a picture to post but I was to busy giving my kids money for the carnival to remember to grab the camera and take a picture. We had a great weekend just wish the judging would have been a little more consistent.

Thanks. Great job to you as well. Lurker? The truth hurts but I have been called worse LOL. I have time to post the next two weeks because I won't be tending to my wife's needs since she is one the road.

Thanks all, I was thinking 8 or 9 and wanted to be sure I wasnt missing something. As a whole it looks like the scores were consistently low at NKC this weekend so I chalked it up to that, but I had a pic so I thought I would share and ask. The judges scored it
Strange enough the judge who gave it a 9 in appearance gave it a 4 in taste:crazy::laugh:

Ditto on having a great time at the contest and meeting all the Brethren.

And to Paul, WOW! With the teams that were at this contest and winning two categories and GC - Heck of a feat.

The scores/judges, however, were to say the least inconsistent. I had scores bouncing from 6's to 9's all across the board. From what I can see, there was no consistency among the judges and I have a hard time believing they ended up with 80% CBJ. Such be life at NKC...No whining over spilled BBQ sauce.

Hope to see y'all in P-Hill in a couple weeks.

KCBS, right? I must admit, this one one of my pet peeves. The 9-6 range
on that score... UGH. Other sanctioning bodies put measure in place so
that this is reduced or eliminated altogether. To me it was a solid 8 and
possibly a 9 (pic was a little small). Now, we all know what you make up
and what comes across the table can be different (box closed, transportation, etc.),
but the scores should still be certainly within 3 numbers if not across 2
numbers. I sure wish there was enforcement or something in place to
keep this from happening. Meaning, either the 7's and 6's folks were correct,
or the 8's and 9 folks were correct, but in this case they all cannot
be correct.

It's a wonderfully fun game, for certain. However, after putting in the time
and the money and the effort it always ticks me off to get a wild range of
scores, particularly in presentation/appearance (which is much less
subjective than the other categories and not subject to differences among
different pieces of meat). I always come away asking myself : Why
compete at a professional level if the judging isn't likewise, at a professional level?

I'm really glad you enjoyed the competition.

Back