CHERRY: Is cherry wood cherry or just cherry??

The school I work at has a hort program. they have an apple tree that has like 5 different apples growing from it. they spliced on (or whatever the proper word is) different apple tree varities to a crab apple tree. One guy was telling me thats how all apple varieties are sold. grafted onto crab apple trees.

All commercial apple trees are sold as grafts. This is a way to control characteristics desired for specific apple varieties.

All common names are casual references and only scientific names can really convey specific information, does that really matter if you are stuffing it into a fire box?

Unless leaves are considered "fruit" than I disagree with this statement.

The only Maple that produces those "helicopters" where I live are Silver Maples. Hard Maple/Sugar Maple and all the other Maples other than Silver Maples only produces leaves.

Wild Cherry trees don't produce fruit, only a flower. At least, not the ones I've ever seen in both VA and ME. And their wood is great for smoking meat!!!

Red Maple seeds, from a tree about five mins away from my back door-

redmapleseeds2.jpg

Didn't take any of the sugar maple seeds, they are larger than the red maple seeds and brown when they are ready to whirl.

Back