CHERRY: Is cherry wood cherry or just cherry??

I am not sure why someone who designs dog parks and baseball fields needs all that tree knowledge, but, at least here, I get to dump it on others. :becky:

Ok, this thread has gone long enough without some prons

my last batch of cherry I got from the old man. Cut last year into 3" disks and then split effortlessly with a hatchet. the father figures he has 2 more trees down. just think were talking thousands of lbs!!!!!!!
dsc00501sg.jpg

some ribs I have on the wsm currently at hour 3 with cherry
dsc00500wk.jpg

Shot at 2011-07-09

I've burned wood from an "ornamental cherry" before and didn't like the smoke. Seemed acrid, very perfumy and a bit bitter. It's entirely possible it wasn't cherry at all, but the guy who gave it to me was a greens keeper and removed it from a golf course. I kinda assumed he knew what he was talking about.

It does not have to be fruit or nut bearing to be a good wood. Some flowering ornamentals (cherry and bradford pear for example) do just fine.

Black cherry or wild cherry leaves does have cynide in them and if eaten by livestock when they in a wilted state will poison them , but it still ok to smoke with BTW lot of seeds such as apple seed have cynide in them

That looks like a "Live Cherry" tree. It's ornamental only and no good for smoking. Or have you seen it produce fruit? If so, it is not a Live Cherry as they only produce a flower.

First of all as a purely techinical point, all trees produce "fruit", it is how their seeds are dispersed. Acorns are the fruit of oak trees and those "helicopters" that maple trees produce are also fruit.
As to why your cherry trees do not produce, they may be too old. To the best of my knowledge all fruit trees will produce less and eventually stop bearing over time. Some the Black Cherry trees that I see up here bear fruit and some do not.

Unless leaves are considered "fruit" than I disagree with this statement.

The only Maple that produces those "helicopters" where I live are Silver Maples. Hard Maple/Sugar Maple and all the other Maples other than Silver Maples only produces leaves.

Wild Cherry trees don't produce fruit, only a flower. At least, not the ones I've ever seen in both VA and ME. And their wood is great for smoking meat!!!

Last edited:
No fruit and I have heard it called ornamental though now that you mention it. Oh well, I have three I'd like to cut down regardless.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't know who said that, wild cherry is used all the time for smoking. I've used it a bunch and love the results.

Me too, It works...Once I was told that Black Oak was to be used sparingly due to the intensityt of the smoke, but my last smoke was awesome after I used a whole lot of it!!! Nut Trees and Fruit Trees all are fair game Wild or Tame... Use them!!! :clap2::thumb:peppa!!!

Interesting. When I first started stick burning in Virginia, what was called "black" or "wild" cherry didn't produce a fruit, only a flower. Same thing that I've noticed with the ones here in Maine. Must be a regional species difference?

Interesting. When I first started stick burning in Virginia, what was called "black" or "wild" cherry didn't produce a fruit, only a flower. Same thing that I've noticed with the ones here in Maine. Must be a regional species difference?

The terms "Black" and "Wild" cherry are misused all the time. They aren't scientific names so there is no hard and fast rule for using them. Both names, however, are associated with Prunus Serotina which is the fruit bearing tree.

Ironically cherry is no where as confusing as apple tree identification, which doesn't often raise any controversy.

Back