THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slebus, gotcha I didn't realize you were using comodity pork, makes perfect sense and if I had looked over at the other forum, I would have seen your whole thread on these two Lonzino's. It very well may be my next hang, I can't bring myself to hang a beef eye of round yet haha. After that I may do a duck breast something and a guanciale.

Last edited:
Good to know. I've strictly went to butcher shops since a lot of what I read they always said stay away from the supermarkets. I'll take your word for it. What about things like pork which most of the time has a that water solution in it(like most pork butts)?

This vv

I
Just make sure to avoid "enhanced" meat and you should be good.

And even that being said, I've used enhanced butts before for salami (by accident, but oh well) and everything worked as expected. I try to steer clear of anything enhanced as a general rule though.. Just read your labels :D

This vv

And even that being said, I've used enhanced butts before for salami (by accident, but oh well) and everything worked as expected. I try to steer clear of anything enhanced as a general rule though.. Just read your labels :D

Yeah me too. Unfortunately a lot of stuff at the supermarkets have that crap in them for you:(

Checked last night and my coppa is starting to develop a nice layer of white mold from the inoculation!

Tonight I think I'm going to start a bresaola.

Bresaola
Ingredient % of Meat
Eye of round 100%
Salt ( Kosher) 3%
Sugar 1%
Mixed peppercorns 0.5%
Fresh rosemary 0.25%
Juniper berries 0.1%
Dry thyme 0.1%
Cinnamon 0.05%
Clove 0.025%
Cure #2 0.30%

Ran a few things through the slicer yesterday.

nWwdTov.jpg

Used this recipe:
Bresaola
Ingredient % of Meat
Eye of round 100%
Salt ( Kosher) 3%
Sugar 1%
Mixed peppercorns 0.5%
Fresh rosemary 0.25%
Juniper berries 0.1%
Dry thyme 0.1%
Cinnamon 0.05%
Clove 0.025%
Cure #2 0.30

Meat was aprox 3.5-4" in diameter. Cured for 25 days, should have been more than enough.

started the cure in a Ziploc bag, second day moved it over to a vacuum bag. I missed about a tablespoon of the juices in the transfer. I stuffed it in the beef bung and hung this weekend. Once side of the meat looked dark and had a firm texture. The other side had a bit of a redder color and was a tad squishy, it was about an inch in diameter. I'm concerned that the transfer messed me up and that the redder side didn't cure. I'm tempted to start another one this week just in case. If that is the case, could I have just cut off the questionable portion prior to hanging?? I realize that it is now to late to do anything but just cross my fingers and see what comes out of the drying chamber.

Thanks guys.

I broke down a 330lb pig last month and decided to use both hams for prosciutto, they were ready to come out of the salt this weekend and I soon realized that my chamber didn't have the space for the addition of 2 big hams. So.........this one was a year in. I wanted to go a bit longer, but sacrifices must be made. :biggrin1:

KvrG9v4.jpg

Lopped off the side to get a look at what I had........looked just fine.

hkJcKvU.jpg

Broke it all down and vacuumed packed the sections and added it to the collection. Still had one that I was working my way through so this will still get to mature a bit in the fridge.

Thanks guys, they have a small amount of case hardening, so they are getting happy in the fridge.

I now need to fill the fridge back up again haha.

Well, I guess I need to take advantage of the bump :becky::becky:.

Technically "pancetta tesa" I suppose.........basically I had a chunk of belly left over from squaring off a side for bacon and decided to cure it. Just straight sea salt for a couple of weeks, rinsed, and hung in the chamber until it lost 30% of the raw weight. The thin pieces got a little hard, but that was to be expected.

LKCHJZT.jpg

Back