THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Briquettes for comps. For home, I'll throw most anything, including generic stuff, in the firebox.

Can you even buy Rancher around Kansas City? I'd like to try it just to see what all the fuss is about.

1. Royal oak chef select
2. Rancher

I will never buy nature glo birqs or regular royal oak briqs again they suck.

1. Nature Glo briquettes
2. Sam's Choice briquettes
3. Royal Oak briquettes

From what I have been told, the Nature Glo product we use is R.O.'s food service line brand. So the R.O. Chef Select may be similar...not sure, never heard of it until your post (above).

Can you even buy Rancher around Kansas City? I'd like to try it just to see what all the fuss is about.

Jeff - they had Rancher twin packs at Costco in Lenexa earlier this summer. I didn't get any as I don't use lump, but the last time I was there it was gone and all they had was Kingsford, as usual.

1. Nature Glo briquettes
2. Sam's Choice briquettes
3. Royal Oak briquettes

From what I have been told, the Nature Glo product we use is R.O.'s food service line brand. So the R.O. Chef Select may be similar...not sure, never heard of it until your post (above).

Jeff - they had Rancher twin packs at Costco in Lenexa earlier this summer. I didn't get any as I don't use lump, but the last time I was there it was gone and all they had was Kingsford, as usual.

You may be right, the stuff I got may have just been a bad batch. No matter how much I would lite I could not get the smoker past 225. With chef select if I was lighting that much my smoker would be at lest 300.

The Nature Glo coal we use (and Sam's for that matter) are much larger briquettes than Royal Oak. We use about 1/3 less charcoal since we swithed from regualr Royal Oak.

You may be right, the stuff I got may have just been a bad batch. No matter how much I would lite I could not get the smoker past 225. With chef select if I was lighting that much my smoker would be at lest 300.

I think Stubbs is made by Rancher. What differences have you noticed?

Less ash, no odor, I can use it in the Drum Smokers with no swirling ash, it fires and gets the WSM's up to temp faster than Rancher. And BTW Rancher does not exist! Never did and never will! I think I only have 7 bags of it left out of 60. I've only seen the Stubb's at QFC (Krogers) $5.99 bag.

100_2827.jpg

Less ash, no odor, I can use it in the Drum Smokers with no swirling ash, it fires and gets the WSM's up to temp faster than Rancher. And BTW Rancher does not exist! Never did and never will! I think I only have 7 bags of it left out of 60. I've only seen the Stubb's at QFC (Krogers) $5.99 bag.

100_2827.jpg

Hey bro...I've not seen that one. 6 bucks for 9 lbs is kinda pricey though...how does it burn?

HD was carrying in in 2007, something like $3 a 20 lb bag. I still have a bag or two in my garage. If you like mounds of ash, it's a great charcoal. Since it makes my BWS look like Mount St. Helens ... I just use a little here and a little there to fill in around the large azz WG lump.

In summary, in this case - you get what you pay for.

I use RO. Would like to find wicked briquettes. I uase to use lump but could not keep the heat down with my meadow creek

Back