THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like to run Kingsford competition in my UDS... more even, less ash, and I get higher temps than blue (for a given amount of air) or it runs great at low temps. Kingsford blue is on sale a lot more often and easier to find, so I have a bunch of it. I like the low ash level of lump, but I have ended up with variable temps so I don't trust it for long cooks or when I can't/won't babysit it.

I use briquettes for grilling, lump for smoking. I never have any trouble getting 10-12 hours out of a load of lump in most smokers. I don't like the chemical fume smell and taste from minioned briquettes.

Agree on the lump. I tried KBB for the first time a couple weeks ago on a butt. Couldn't keep temps up because of the ash. No issues with RO lump. I have a full bag of KBB i dont know what to do with now.:doh:

If you have a LOWES home improvemnt center close by, they carry Stubs all natural briquettes. I use them for competition in my Backwoods Competitor and also at home in my UDS and Kettle grill. Works well in all of them.

I use lump. There are several brands that I like, but lump and wood chunks works great in my UDS. I'm not a fan of the flavor that KBB puts on my food, otherwise it burns okay.

I started with KBB on my WSM and had fine results but couldn't get much past 250. Since switching to various brands of lump, I can run much hotter as needed. Haven't had much problems with swinging temps with it and the minimal ash is great. Usually after loading a full bag and doing a "longer" smoke, I still have some left over. I sometimes use KBB in a pinch or if I'm too lazy to drive the extra 5 miles for lump.

I got a 35lb bag of Fogo lump from amazon 3 weeks ago and have been really happy with. Have 5 or 6 cooks done with it and it's been solid for 800 degree steaks or 225 smoking. A ton of really great big chunks. And no need to drive and pick it up.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P166SU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Fogo FHWC35LB 35-Pound All Natural Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Bag: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Back