THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So 25c per pound is the regular price?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was horribly disappointed with the RO Premium...Burns hot and fast and leaves lots of ash. If you are one who tries to reuse partially burnt coals...Forget it...

I guess it's good for cooking quick things like burgers and dogs but for low and slow it's no good...

It seems that RO has lowered their standards to give Wal Mart a discount sale type product.

I was horribly disappointed with the RO Premium...Burns hot and fast and leaves lots of ash. If you are one who tries to reuse partially burnt coals...Forget it...

I guess it's good for cooking quick things like burgers and dogs but for low and slow it's no good...

It seems that RO has lowered their standards to give Wal Mart a discount sale type product.

I'm going to try RO vs Kingsford original. I buy bulk and the last pallet had mixed results mostly bad. Thought someone switched smokers on me. Any test I have seen has had kingsford dead last in both ash and burn time. I will find out soon if RO is better or not.

Some of my local stores have it, but haven't put it out on the floor yet. One store had them out so I bought a total of 360lbs. I'll keep an eye out to see if the price drops and buy more then.

I do not like the RO briquettes. Stink to high heaven and seem to have 10x the chemicals that kingsford does. Something ain’t right with them.

I do not like the RO briquettes. Stink to high heaven and seem to have 10x the chemicals that kingsford does. Something ain’t right with them.

Agreed. I bought 15 bags of the "Classic" briquettes last year around this time for $4 and I still have a ton of it. I only run it in my kettle because its horrible in the Humphreys and PBC. Its fine for burgers and stuff, but horrible for low and slow cooking.

I bought 5 2 packs of this product about a month ago. It is absolutely the worst charcoal briquet product I have ever used. Never again. :mad2:

I prefer RO Natural. It's a far better product than their so called "Premium".

Agreed. I bought 15 bags of the "Classic" briquettes last year around this time for $4 and I still have a ton of it. I only run it in my kettle because its horrible in the Humphreys and PBC. Its fine for burgers and stuff, but horrible for low and slow cooking.

I thought I scored when I bought two packs. Guess I will be doing burgers galore until it's all gone. I should have known if it was too good to be true....

I don't care for the royal oak in the red bag. The royal oak all natural briquettes have always worked ok for me. I don't think it burns as hot as Kingsford or as long, but does fine for grilling.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have picked up nearly 1000lbs of this stuff and I have no complaints. I only use it for quick grilling so I guess I haven't had the opportunity to be disappointed like others here. I have always used lump for smoking and briqs for grilling. Probably bassackwards, but it works for me.

It's not the best, but definitely gets the job done for $4.44 per 18#. It does leave a lot of ash, but it is $4.44 per 18# after all.

For whatever it's worth, about 10 years ago, I used to buy a charcoal briquette product made by Royal Oak called "Chef's Select", which came in 40lb bags I had shipped to store via Do it Best. It has the same ridged feature on each briquette that the Royal Oak All Natural Hardwood Premium Charcoal Briquets has, but is a much better product. I was quite happy with it, and liked it quite a bit better than Kingsford blue.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/royal-oak-chefs-select.267367/

I see they still make it, I may give it a whirl again. :thumb:

Back