Royal Oak Premium Briquettes -Brickseek

Help a brother out here. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What did y'all find objectionable? There's like 50+ reviews and scores 4.5. Only read one bad review and basically compared it to Kingsford. Were you grilling, smoking what type cooker? Aroma, smoke or lack of, longevity ?
Just curious

Last edited:
Weber 22 kettle.

Hard to get lit, tumbleweed, torch or both… takes forever to get coals going.

I am at the end of my 2nd and last bag.
Going back to KB.

About 3 years ago I purchased two bundles at July 4th when Walmart had it for 2 bags for 8 dollars. Absolutely the worst charcoal I ever bought. When lighting, it smelled like a smut pot and smoked almost as bad. Once it was all lit it did not smell bad but would burn to ashes in very little time. I eventually used it up grilling steaks or hamburgers. In a smoker it would burn thru a pan full in about 3 hrs. The same amount of KBB in the smoker would go about 8 hrs.

About 3 years ago I purchased two bundles at July 4th when Walmart had it for 2 bags for 8 dollars. Absolutely the worst charcoal I ever bought. When lighting, it smelled like a smut pot and smoked almost as bad. Once it was all lit it did not smell bad but would burn to ashes in very little time. I eventually used it up grilling steaks or hamburgers. In a smoker it would burn thru a pan full in about 3 hrs. The same amount of KBB in the smoker would go about 8 hrs.

My experience /\/\

I found people I don't like much to give the crap to...

Help a brother out here. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive. What did y'all find objectionable? There's like 50+ reviews and scores 4.5. Only read one bad review and basically compared it to Kingsford. Were you grilling, smoking what type cooker? Aroma, smoke or lack of, longevity ?
Just curious

Poorly formed briquettes, a lot are broken into smaller pieces, a lot of ash, and generally smokey.

I found it most useful for chimney starting charcoal, but it will smoke decent BBQ when ya need it to. For the price it's not bad if you wanna stock up. Just don't expect the world of it. Think I burned through 8 - 10 bags of it two years or so ago. Not sure if I would return to it or not if it were $10 near me. At the time Walmart also had a 30# for $15 Western Lump charcoal deal that was better IMO. For $10 its not so bad that you shouldn't pick it up & try it. I'd just buy one to test out before committing to several. It might float you boat or it might not.

I stocked up on it right around when covid first hit because it was so cheap. Others were hoarding TP and I was buying cart fulls of this stuff. Lasted me over a year with grilling multiple times per week. I never bothered trying to use it in a smoker because it was obvious it wouldn't last that long. It was great for quick burgers and steaks though. At that price I didn't mind burning a partial chimney of it to cook a couple of hot dogs. If I could find that price and a place to store it I would load up on it again.

Are they similar/same as RO Chefs Select? I purchased one large bag of that stuff and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Poorly formed briquettes, slow to light, smoked like crazy and was nasty smelling at that. Lots of ash which clogged the PBC. KBB for me.

I had bought two bags of this Royal Oak in the red bag before this thread was posted. It was on sale at Price Chopper for less than what the Best Choice charcoal was selling for. I had used the Royal Oak before years ago and thought it was pretty decent charcoal. I did not want to post in this thread until I had used the charcoal in both my WSM and the kettle. It seemed to burn okay in the bullet for a few four hour cooks. I usually mix lump with the briquettes as I am reusing extinguished charcoal from the previous cook.

Today my opinion was changed entirely. Their briquettes are without a doubt the WORST briquettes I have ever used for grilling! Forum decorum restricts my vocabulary from truly expressing my opinion. I usually use 2/3s of a charcoal chimney to cook bacon on the kettle. Forty-five minutes is tops for cooking time for sliced bacon to be done. At 30 minutes, I was having to light another chimney of charcoal because the fire was almost out. I put some small pieces of lump charcoal on what few lit coals remained. The cherry wood chunks I had added to the coals at the beginning of the cook were hardly burned and the remaining lit coals were not hot enough to ignite the lump charcoal that I added. It took me almost one hour to cook bacon and this was thin sliced bacon!

You can include me in the group that gives Royal Oak briquettes a zero star rating.

Went to my local Walmart and still no mark down on charcoal so I asked an associate if he knew when they may do it.

"I remember a note that we weren't going to mark it down because Walmart realized we use charcoal year round down here."

:mad:

:mad:Fark!

The secret is out... There is no "Barbecue Season"... It was a marketing myth all along.

Now that the corporations know that, goodbye seasonal clearance sales :(

Back