THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Badjak

is one Smokin' Farker
The other day I started on making bacon. I cut the slabs to size, so they would fit into the biggest ziplock bag I had and had some left overs.
Decided to make 2 types: Char siu and Rujak (Indonesian style).
For the Char siu, I used some bottled char siu sauce (as I had it, and I had no Hoisin sauce), added extra garlic, rice wine and pepper.
Marinated overnight (well actually maybe even a bit longer), got the WSM 14.5 ready and put the meat on.
I used the WSM without waterpan.
RmYlKAEl.jpg

yLel0DSl.jpg

About an hour in.
Looks promising.
o1x9GZKl.jpg

They need a bit longer.
Another peek after about 30 or 40 minutes or so
xbGQ1Vxl.jpg

And done.
No they are not burned....
GBGuXfrl.jpg

Resting:
(the meat, not me)
SzaKsthl.jpg

After snacking a couple of pieces, the work went on :-D
Finely chopped the Char Siu and added lime juice as it was a bit sweet for me
UhyzSNGl.jpg

Rolled out some bread dough and put the meat in the centre. Formed it all together into a roll and into the steamer they went
1pgDISdl.jpg

Steamed for about 20-30 minutes and then served with smashed cucumber
VMyIyiql.jpg

That's all, folks :becky:

Thanks!
It was tasty.
I heated the remaining bun the next day in the oven and I think I like that even better.

The rujak belly pork was marinated in a rujak spice mixture that I still had with extra garlic, lime juice and chili.
It is that bigger piece on the WSM and I should have cut it into smaller pieces like the char siu as it didn't go too well together.
The rujak would have benefitted from a lower temperature, so maybe with waterpan. It was tasty, but still very fatty when I took it off.
So, sliced it and heated it in the oven to get rid of some more fat.
That definitely worked and as said, it tasted very good!

Back